DizzyDucklings

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
I have a friend who would like to cross his Mallard with my female Pekin. I was wondering if you all have any tips to encourage her to have ducklings. Of course, I assume it’s important to gradually introduce them, but other than that is there anything I can do to help encourage this process so that we can get ducklings? Is there a specific season for ducks to nest? And how long does it take for the ducklings to hatch? Any information is welcomed. Thank you.

Introduce them by putting them both in a pool of water by themselves. They should be flirty for a bit, such as bobbing heads together. If the male begins to bite the female and chase her around and bob his head, your in luck! :)

And after they've been mating, the Pekin needs to lay eggs and then go broody on them. Has she been broody before? You can't really encourage her to go broody as far as I know, aside from providing appealing nesting areas. If she doesn't go broody, you'll have to incubate the eggs yourself.

Some ducks mostly lay and go broody in spring, like they would in the wild. I'm not quite sure about Pekins. It might vary depending on the climate you're in, too.

Ducklings take 28 days to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom