Mating Question

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
Will a roo attempt to breed a pullet if she is not close to laying eggs? I have Ameraucana's that are 24 weeks old and the last few days the roo's have been doing the dance for the girls and have tried a couple of times to attempt to mate them. I do have other hen's that are laying and they do mate them, so they know how to do it, but I was suprised when I saw them dancing for my ameraucana girls. Does that mean that they are getting close to laying??

depends on the roo. I have one that will grab anything with feathers and put a WWF move on it and knock it to the ground and make his move, including immature cockerels. He is currently in solitary confinement with conjugal visits with one hen, once a day..
hmm.png

if they are 24 weeks old then they are deffinetly close to laying, and yes a roo will attempt to mate a pullet that has not shown signs of laying yet,

I once had a full grown roo, try to mate a 2-3 month old pullet...if he THINKS she is big enough then that roo will try anything

Well, I've seen an 8 week old Ameraucana do a great mating imitation. He was in love with my Speckled Sussex, Nelda, who was his same age. So, yes, mating play can start way before eggs are due to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom