Mating Rooster ?

SurferchickinSB

Free Ranging
6 Years
Feb 23, 2018
California
I was just wondering if any of you who breed chickens would know whether it is better to have a purebred rooster that comes from blue egg layers and hens that lay brown eggs if you are trying to create blue and green egg laying chickens, or would it be better to have it the other way around?

According to Michigan State University Extension, egg color is determined by the genetics of the hens. The breed of the hen will indicate what color eggs she will produce. For example, Leghorn chickens lay white eggs while Orpington's lay brown eggs and Ameraucana produce blue eggs.

(from Google)

According to Michigan State University Extension, egg color is determined by the genetics of the hens. The breed of the hen will indicate what color eggs she will produce. For example, Leghorn chickens lay white eggs while Orpington's lay brown eggs and Ameraucana produce blue eggs.

(from Google)
Thank you for your reply, that’s exactly what I was wondering! I was wondering whether it was the male or female that determines the egg color. Thank you for answering my question, have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom