Mating with my chickens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnaD, May 8, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    So I'm new to chickens and recently one of my chickens has been squatting in front of me. I know this is a sign that she will soon lay eggs and that she thinks I'm rooster quality (I guess I should be flattered?). Anyway, my question is...What do you do when they keep squatting right infront of you? The first time she did it I didn't even think before I reached down and ruffled her back feathers and tugged her tail a bit and told her to go lay an egg. [​IMG] She liked it so I always do it. Am I weird to be "mating" with my chickens? She never lets me touch her otherwise so I'm taking advantage of her a bit...LOL
    I'm a gentle lover compared to a rooster [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Only on this forum could such a question be asked and understood.[​IMG][​IMG]:lau

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] cute! Tug that tail ! My hens won't submit to anyone except their roo. I'm just the HO lady, digging up worms & weeds every day.[​IMG]

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    HAHA funny. I just ignore that behavior when they do it and pet them. They stop right away and go about their business.[​IMG]

5. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I have no roo. I feel like she might feel rejected if I didn't do something. Or maybe I'm just anthropomorphising...
    I new it. I'm the only one! [​IMG]

6. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I do that all the time! [​IMG]
    i have one hen that will only squat for me... and i have a roo! [​IMG]

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    No, your not the only one. My hens always squat when I attempt to pet them, and we have

many roos. [​IMG]

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Lol, I do the same thing. They don't have a rooster anymore and I don't want my poor girls to feel rejected so....Got to do what you have to to keep the girls happy.

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have a hard time making it into some of my pens because i'll have 3-5 hens squatting in front of me. i just reach down, rubby dub their backs, they ruffle their feathers, and off they go.

Sometimes i just walk past a pen and bunch of them squat. i suppose i should feel honored, but i just tell them i really do not feel like mating right now - thank you very much.

10. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by