Mating with my chickens.

AnaD

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
N. Ca
So I'm new to chickens and recently one of my chickens has been squatting in front of me. I know this is a sign that she will soon lay eggs and that she thinks I'm rooster quality (I guess I should be flattered?). Anyway, my question is...What do you do when they keep squatting right infront of you? The first time she did it I didn't even think before I reached down and ruffled her back feathers and tugged her tail a bit and told her to go lay an egg.
lol.png
She liked it so I always do it. Am I weird to be "mating" with my chickens? She never lets me touch her otherwise so I'm taking advantage of her a bit...LOL
I'm a gentle lover compared to a rooster
gig.gif

I have no roo. I feel like she might feel rejected if I didn't do something. Or maybe I'm just anthropomorphising...
I new it. I'm the only one!
hide.gif

Lol, I do the same thing. They don't have a rooster anymore and I don't want my poor girls to feel rejected so....Got to do what you have to to keep the girls happy.

i have a hard time making it into some of my pens because i'll have 3-5 hens squatting in front of me. i just reach down, rubby dub their backs, they ruffle their feathers, and off they go.

Sometimes i just walk past a pen and bunch of them squat. i suppose i should feel honored, but i just tell them i really do not feel like mating right now - thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom