Mating with my chickens.

"squatting" in front of us?

Since I don't think I've seen this behavior yet (that I know of) does this look like the squat they do when they poo? (don't laugh at the newbie question!)

edited for language

No, when they poo it's more of a "butt down" maneuver. When they crouch for mating it's more of a downward hunch with a flat back, getting ready for a roo to hop on. My hens are much happier since there aren't any roos. They prefer a rubby dub on their backs more than the claws of a big roo.

My duck used to do this. Mainly did it when I removed the newspaper and put in fresh newspaper.
hmm.png

When any of my pullets or hens squat for me, I give 'em a skritch at the base of the neck between the shoulder-blades, another skritch at the base of the tail-feathers, then a pat on the middle back, at which time I say, "Good girl!"

They always give a little shake when they stand up. Although I know the biological reason they're doing that feather shake, I prefer to believe they are just rearranging their 'do, to get rid of "bed feathers."

This is SOOOOOO FUNNY! When my silkie hens do this I pick them up and scratch them under the neck and wings. It is partly a foreplay behavior but also a recognition of my dominance. They see me as head of the flock and I see it as a bow and curtsy to the Queen. Whatever they are thinking, I find it charming and sweet, deserving of a little attention, snuggle and a treat.

all of my hens do that ,when they first start squatting I make a noise like Boop,boop, boop everytime. So as they are older and I want to grab one to put it up or check it for anything I just make that noise and wham,,straight down. Easy to catch with the old Boop,boop boop maneuver.

edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I never thought of it as that way, when they squat. We just thought they squatted so we could pick them up, instead of running away from us.
wee.gif

LOL

Syria

Last edited:
I have one RIR who is very confused. She will squat if I open the door unexpectedly and she's 20 feet away :eek: She also is very submissive to me but if my back is turned she tries to mate the lowest of the pecking order.

edited for language

Well, thank you all! Good to know I'm not the only one mating with my chickens
lol.png

Quote:
Neat trick!
clap.gif
I'm gonna try the boop boop boop method!

edited for language

Back
Top Bottom