Mating

duckeg

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2016
Hey guys i have a male and a female pet duck ,since they are mating from early spring there is a huge bald spot on the back of her head, is there anyway to make him stop mating?
PS: i don't wannna separate them
Ps:she's molting too

Last edited:
You need more females for him. The ideal ratio is one male to at least 3 females. This way the females share the "burden" of having a hormonal drake during breeding season and will not end up bald. So, the best thing you can do for your girl is get more females. And possibly separate her from the drake for a little while so she can heal up and get a break.

You need more females for him. The ideal ratio is one male to at least 3 females. This way the females share the "burden" of having a hormonal drake during breeding season and will not end up bald. So, the best thing you can do for your girl is get more females. And possibly separate her from the drake for a little while so she can heal up and get a break. 
yea i know but the problem is i dont have enough space for more ducks

Ok, I see. Well, the best solution would be to either separate them while she heals up and grows back her feathers, or possibly re-home your drake and get her a female friend instead so you don't have this issue. Unfortunately, drakes are very very hormonal during breeding season and nothing can be done to calm them down until breeding season is over (usually in the Fall). They just need lots of females to keep them busy so there isn't one girl taking all the damage.

Back
Top Bottom