Mating

First, are you sure that you have a male and a female? Secondly, guinea males can breed the hen without being on her back. I have watched mine complete the act with the male being on the ground.
Yes i am much sure one is male and one is female. I saw female ran and sat on ground like chicken mating position but male didnt do anything.

That sounds like a showing of submission, not assuming a mating position. Guinea behaviors are not the same as any other poultry. Just because you don't see guineas mating doesn't mean that it isn't happening. I rarely see my guineas mate but I get lots of fertile eggs which means they are doing their thing.
But i am very much confused to see behaviour of guinea hen.

Just observe and ignore pretty much anything you know about chickens when it comes to guineas. They are unique.

With only two guineas, you really don't have enough guineas for them to truly be themselves. Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10.
Shall i get fertile eggs or not

✨🌱Pretty birds. To me it does seems like you have both sexes. hen and a Cock. The one near the wall being the hen. The body shap, and the small head with backwards wattles.

What about the food? Guineafowls go on diet, unlike chickens. In the wild, in winter guineas feed on greens like grasses, grains and weeds to maintain body temperature in cold winter months. But in spring and summer they switch to insects, beetles, grasshoppers, snails which are all high in protein and calcium for females to produce clutch of eggs.

Gamebird layers feed is excellent on caged or cooped birds.
What do you feed them during the laying season?
Thank you dear...
Well you are right about the sex of my guineas...
Well we have winter season from November to february and just started spring season here.. but still temperature remains under 20 degree celcius... I am expecting in this month she lay eggs of first clutch... As they are 9 months old now and their first spring.
Welll i gave them high protein feed called finisher feed as well as green leaves.

Join the club. Mine have not started laying yet either. This is looking a lot like last year when my guineas did not start laying until sometime in May.
My guinea pair are 9 month old, i thought they start laying eggs in spring i.e, march or April but yet they didn't.
How old are yours.

I’m in Oklahoma, where we are now getting about 13.5 hr of daylight per day. One guinea hen started laying about 2 months ago. It took the others awhile to join her. I’m now getting about 8 eggs a day from 12 hens.
I am from kashmir, India here its about 13.5 hr of day light and its spring season here but yet she didn't started laying.

Back
Top Bottom