Mating

Amaan Ali

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
I am having a pair of guinea fowl, as it is spring season here and my guineas are 9 months old, guinea hen seems to be ready for mating but guinea fowl is not mating. Whenever i look them sometimes guinea hen ran and sat down just like a chicken hen do at the time of mating and cock just jumps on her back but not in my case with guinea, as guinea fowl never jumps on her back.

I am having a pair of guinea fowl, as it is spring season here and my guineas are 9 months old, guinea hen seems to be ready for mating but guinea fowl is not mating. Whenever i look them sometimes guinea hen ran and sat down just like a chicken hen do at the time of mating and cock just jumps on her back but not in my case with guinea, as guinea fowl never jumps on her back.
First, are you sure that you have a male and a female? Secondly, guinea males can breed the hen without being on her back. I have watched mine complete the act with the male being on the ground.

First, are you sure that you have a male and a female? Secondly, guinea males can breed the hen without being on her back. I have watched mine complete the act with the male being on the ground.
Yes i am much sure one is male and one is female. I saw female ran and sat on ground like chicken mating position but male didnt do anything.

Yes i am much sure one is male and one is female. I saw female ran and sat on ground like chicken mating position but male didnt do anything.
That sounds like a showing of submission, not assuming a mating position. Guinea behaviors are not the same as any other poultry. Just because you don't see guineas mating doesn't mean that it isn't happening. I rarely see my guineas mate but I get lots of fertile eggs which means they are doing their thing.

That sounds like a showing of submission, not assuming a mating position. Guinea behaviors are not the same as any other poultry. Just because you don't see guineas mating doesn't mean that it isn't happening. I rarely see my guineas mate but I get lots of fertile eggs which means they are doing their thing.
But i am very much confused to see behaviour of guinea hen.

But i am very much confused to see behaviour of guinea hen.
Just observe and ignore pretty much anything you know about chickens when it comes to guineas. They are unique.

With only two guineas, you really don't have enough guineas for them to truly be themselves. Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10.

Just observe and ignore pretty much anything you know about chickens when it comes to guineas. They are unique.

With only two guineas, you really don't have enough guineas for them to truly be themselves. Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10.
Shall i get fertile eggs or not

Back
Top Bottom