Mating

Amaan Ali

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
I am having a pair of guinea fowl, as it is spring season here and my guineas are 9 months old, guinea hen seems to be ready for mating but guinea fowl is not mating. Whenever i look them sometimes guinea hen ran and sat down just like a chicken hen do at the time of mating and cock just jumps on her back but not in my case with guinea, as guinea fowl never jumps on her back.

Hi chickinie. Well, let me tell you a little secret about the helmeted guineafowl. Guineafowls belong to a family of game birds, all of them with chickens and turkey, peafowls and more. Guineafowls are more wilder than any other game bird and are never truly tamed. So please don't ever compare them with chickens.

During the breeding season guinea males begin their courtship behavior. those includes, hump back displaying, chasing one another. Fighting, kicking and all that sort of thing. only to be selected my a guineahen. The winner is always taken. We started off with 6 guinea keets but four died while they were young. Yes, two guineas can breed and raise a family from 2 to 40. Their courtship is somehow strange. Unlike chickens. A rooster will chase a hen and mate with it, whether she want or not. But in guineas its the female that gives the deed.
When they are ready they often fatten up, making more buckwheat calls than normal.
When shes ready to mate she utters a low kwii kwi kwi call and lower her self for the male to take off. And the eggs🥚 to be found especially on fre ranging birds that is hell in a dream. They are super at hiding their nests. Nest boxes are usually ignored. Sometimes you may say they not laying up until one of them return home with 22 keets.

Guineafowls are mysterious birds. They are never well known 🌱

Last edited:
IMG_20200402_222657.jpg

The one the left is a male.
Female on the right .
On the far right is a chicken. Their foster mother who raised them. And even they free range together and watch her chicks to falcons ans kites.
From two guineafowls the female laid a clutch of 23 eggs and went broody. 17 survived. And today we've got a flock of 37 guineafowls.

Last edited:
View attachment 2072683
Female on the right.
On the far left is a chicken. Their foster mother who raised them. And even they free range together and watch her chicks to falcons ans kites.
From two guineafowls the female laid a clutch of 23 eggs and went broody. 17 survived. And today we've got a flock of 37 guineafowls.
I assume that you mean that the chicken is on the far right since the one on the far left is a guinea and the one in the center is also a guinea.

Hi chickinie. Well, let me tell you a little secret about the helmeted guineafowl. Guineafowls belong to a family of game birds, all of them with chickens and turkey, peafowls and more. Guineafowls are more wilder than any other game bird and are never truly tamed. So please don't ever compare them with chickens.

During the breeding season guinea males begin their courtship behavior. those includes, hump back displaying, chasing one another. Fighting, kicking and all that sort of thing. only to be selected my a guineahen. The winner is always taken. We started off with 6 guinea keets but four died while they were young. Yes, two guineas can breed and raise a family from 2 to 40. Their courtship is somehow strange. Unlike chickens. A rooster will chase a hen and mate with it, whether she want or not. But in guineas its the female that gives the deed.
When they are ready they often fatten up, making more buckwheat calls than normal.
When shes ready to mate she utters a low kwii kwi kwi call and lower her self for the male to take off. And the eggs🥚 to be found especially on fre ranging birds that is hell in a dream. They are super at hiding their nests. Nest boxes are usually ignored. Sometimes you may say they not laying up until one of them return home with 22 keets.

Guineafowls are mysterious birds. They are never well known 🌱
Wow. Thanks for the insight into the mysterious life of Guinea fowls.
All I've known about them previously is that they can become wanders of the street and famed locals in certain corners of the town :lol:

I am having a pair of guinea fowl, as it is spring season here and my guineas are 9 months old, guinea hen seems to be ready for mating but guinea fowl is not mating. Whenever i look them sometimes guinea hen ran and sat down just like a chicken hen do at the time of mating and cock just jumps on her back but not in my case with guinea, as guinea fowl never jumps on her back.
First, are you sure that you have a male and a female? Secondly, guinea males can breed the hen without being on her back. I have watched mine complete the act with the male being on the ground.

Yes i am much sure one is male and one is female. I saw female ran and sat on ground like chicken mating position but male didnt do anything.
That sounds like a showing of submission, not assuming a mating position. Guinea behaviors are not the same as any other poultry. Just because you don't see guineas mating doesn't mean that it isn't happening. I rarely see my guineas mate but I get lots of fertile eggs which means they are doing their thing.

View attachment 2072683
Female on the right .
On the far right is a chicken. Their foster mother who raised them. And even they free range together and watch her chicks to falcons ans kites.
Wow, your guinea fowl look so different from ours! Are they standard, jumbo?

Attachments

• EE77B0A3-9936-444B-9D08-1F0BDDB5025F.jpeg
    EE77B0A3-9936-444B-9D08-1F0BDDB5025F.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom