Mating

Hi chickinie. Well, let me tell you a little secret about the helmeted guineafowl. Guineafowls belong to a family of game birds, all of them with chickens and turkey, peafowls and more. Guineafowls are more wilder than any other game bird and are never truly tamed. So please don't ever compare them with chickens.

During the breeding season guinea males begin their courtship behavior. those includes, hump back displaying, chasing one another. Fighting, kicking and all that sort of thing. only to be selected my a guineahen. The winner is always taken. We started off with 6 guinea keets but four died while they were young. Yes, two guineas can breed and raise a family from 2 to 40. Their courtship is somehow strange. Unlike chickens. A rooster will chase a hen and mate with it, whether she want or not. But in guineas its the female that gives the deed.
When they are ready they often fatten up, making more buckwheat calls than normal.
When shes ready to mate she utters a low kwii kwi kwi call and lower her self for the male to take off. And the eggs🥚 to be found especially on fre ranging birds that is hell in a dream. They are super at hiding their nests. Nest boxes are usually ignored. Sometimes you may say they not laying up until one of them return home with 22 keets.

Guineafowls are mysterious birds. They are never well known 🌱
Wow. Thanks for the insight into the mysterious life of Guinea fowls.
All I've known about them previously is that they can become wanders of the street and famed locals in certain corners of the town :lol:

Hi chickinie. Well, let me tell you a little secret about the helmeted guineafowl. Guineafowls belong to a family of game birds, all of them with chickens and turkey, peafowls and more. Guineafowls are more wilder than any other game bird and are never truly tamed. So please don't ever compare them with chickens.

During the breeding season guinea males begin their courtship behavior. those includes, hump back displaying, chasing one another. Fighting, kicking and all that sort of thing. only to be selected my a guineahen. The winner is always taken. We started off with 6 guinea keets but four died while they were young. Yes, two guineas can breed and raise a family from 2 to 40. Their courtship is somehow strange. Unlike chickens. A rooster will chase a hen and mate with it, whether she want or not. But in guineas its the female that gives the deed.
When they are ready they often fatten up, making more buckwheat calls than normal.
When shes ready to mate she utters a low kwii kwi kwi call and lower her self for the male to take off. And the eggs🥚 to be found especially on fre ranging birds that is hell in a dream. They are super at hiding their nests. Nest boxes are usually ignored. Sometimes you may say they not laying up until one of them return home with 22 keets.

Guineafowls are mysterious birds. They are never well known 🌱
Thank you for the information. I would like to add something that my guinea hen from past 10 to 15 days run and sat down just like a chicken hen do before mating but my guinea male dnt jump on her.

IMG_20200403_183156.jpg
IMG_20200403_182441.jpg
My guinea pair

✨🌱Pretty birds. To me it does seems like you have both sexes. hen and a Cock. The one near the wall being the hen. The body shap, and the small head with backwards wattles.

What about the food? Guineafowls go on diet, unlike chickens. In the wild, in winter guineas feed on greens like grasses, grains and weeds to maintain body temperature in cold winter months. But in spring and summer they switch to insects, beetles, grasshoppers, snails which are all high in protein and calcium for females to produce clutch of eggs.

Gamebird layers feed is excellent on caged or cooped birds.
What do you feed them during the laying season?

Last edited:
✨🌱Pretty birds. To me it does seems like you have both sexes. hen and a Cock. The one near the wall being the hen. The body shap, and the small head with backwards wattles.

What about the food? Guineafowls go on diet, unlike chickens. In the wild, in winter guineas feed on greens like grasses, grains and weeds to maintain body temperature in cold winter months. But in spring and summer they switch to insects, beetles, grasshoppers, snails which are all high in protein and calcium for females to produce clutch of eggs.

Gamebird layers feed is excellent on caged or cooped birds.
What do you feed them during the laying season?
Thank you dear...
Well you are right about the sex of my guineas...
Well we have winter season from November to february and just started spring season here.. but still temperature remains under 20 degree celcius... I am expecting in this month she lay eggs of first clutch... As they are 9 months old now and their first spring.
Welll i gave them high protein feed called finisher feed as well as green leaves.

Back
Top Bottom