Matted feathers in winter.

feltman

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
I picked up a few Araucana pullets and a Silkie--all about 15-16 weeks old from a breeder who seemed nice and knowledgeable.
The birds were kept in a run that had gotten pretty muddy in the last day or two and were filthy but looked healthy.
When I asked the breeder about their feathers--she didn't seem concerned at all and said they'd be fine.
Had she not been so reasonable, friendly and knowledgeable about everything else, I might have just walked away.

Now that they're home, I just can't bear the sight of them so matted and dirty. But it's winter and were in NY--it' cold.
On the one hand I'm worried that their feathers are so matted that they won't be able to keep themselves warm.
On the other hand, I'm worried that if I wash them that, I'll potentially do even more damage.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure which would be best on your question... buy
welcome-byc.gif
from Mississippi
I'm sure someone will pop in soon to help you out!

I would say give them a delicate bath. . . . If they're that bad, they need some sort of treatment. If they don't look absolutely terrible though, give them time to preen themselves. They may just take care of it themselves. Do they have a warm (or at least cool) dry coop to be in?

Also,
welcome-byc.gif
and I'd LOVE to see your Araucanas you got. Those are pretty rare, and I like seeing fellow Araucana owners' birds.
smile.png

Yes. I tried to introduce them to my other year-old red stars in the main coop., but they were getting harassed badly. So I have them in my old small coop which is totally fine for three small chooks like them. Hopefully I will be able to introduce them into
If I bathe them I guess I could keep them inside for a day or two.

Still, I am concerned about stripping the natural oils from their feathers by bathing them.

Back
Top Bottom