Matted/sticky Vent Area--Normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chukster, Mar 24, 2008.

1. chukster

chukster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Bailey,Mississippi
    I have 5 Buff Orpingtons, 1- roo and 4 girls.

The roo has clean looking behind but 2 of the girls have kind of matted and dirty vent areas.

I have picked each one up and tried to spray the areas with flea and tick spray.

This hasn't produced any cleaner behinds. Can or should you give a chicken a dip type bath as you might would give a dog? Could you dip them up past the vent area to clen this area?

I haven't noticed any worsm or insect movement in this area....just matted and dirty.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    You need to remove it so the vent won't be blocked. Use warm water to soften it and be gentle when you remove it.

3. McChix

McChix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Yes, you can give a dip bath. I stand my bird in a pan of warm water just about to vent level and work at the matted area (wearing rubber gloves). I don't use soap, but do change the water out several times. She seems to like the chicken spa!

4. chukster

chukster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Bailey,Mississippi
    Thanks so much for your replies!

Will chickens respond to a water bath that is at ground level as birds do in a bird bath?

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* No, not normal. Wash their butts & dry w/ towels or blow dryer on med.low WARM, not hot setting. Keep the dryer moving. If the problem returns, post again quickly. Most chickens seem to love a bath once they get in that nice warm water. You can use a couple DROPS of baby shampoo to help clean them up and loosen the gunk. CHANGE WATER AS NEEDED. Water temp. should be somewhat warmer than your hands as normal ckn body temp is over 1o4.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  6. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    what if their bum gets dirty agian? one of my hens seems to always have one afew days after I wash her, she seems to be healthy.

7. cooperscluckers

cooperscluckers New Egg

Nov 11, 2012
    I have the same problem with one of my hens, a RIR about 7 months old. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to cut to away the feathers that are matted? Anyone know if that is a good or bad idea? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by