Matted/sticky Vent Area--Normal?

chukster

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Bailey,Mississippi
I have 5 Buff Orpingtons, 1- roo and 4 girls.

The roo has clean looking behind but 2 of the girls have kind of matted and dirty vent areas.

I have picked each one up and tried to spray the areas with flea and tick spray.

This hasn't produced any cleaner behinds. Can or should you give a chicken a dip type bath as you might would give a dog? Could you dip them up past the vent area to clen this area?

I haven't noticed any worsm or insect movement in this area....just matted and dirty.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes, you can give a dip bath. I stand my bird in a pan of warm water just about to vent level and work at the matted area (wearing rubber gloves). I don't use soap, but do change the water out several times. She seems to like the chicken spa!

* No, not normal. Wash their butts & dry w/ towels or blow dryer on med.low WARM, not hot setting. Keep the dryer moving. If the problem returns, post again quickly. Most chickens seem to love a bath once they get in that nice warm water. You can use a couple DROPS of baby shampoo to help clean them up and loosen the gunk. CHANGE WATER AS NEEDED. Water temp. should be somewhat warmer than your hands as normal ckn body temp is over 1o4.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with one of my hens, a RIR about 7 months old. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to cut to away the feathers that are matted? Anyone know if that is a good or bad idea? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom