Mature hens attacking young rooster.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

My young cockerel has had his butt kicked soundly by the smallest hen in my flock, several times. He will continue to get his butt kicked until he learns to treat the ladies with respect.

I imagine at 11 wks of age he is equal to a 12 yo human so give him time.hes a young cockerel. my 5 month old cockerel was getting boo'd away by the older girls and now 3 months later they all tolerate him.

Last edited:
Well, my lilltle "fella" seems to be fine, but I'm afraid to put him any where near the ladies. Looks like I'll have to erect something sturdy in their run & give it about a month. Hopefully it will work out before the long, cold days of winter, cooped up together in close quarters. Oh brother........

Can anyone tell me how I might distinguish a male from female silkey (other than a cock- a- doodle- doo)?

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

My young cockerel has had his butt kicked soundly by the smallest hen in my flock, several times. He will continue to get his butt kicked until he learns to treat the ladies with respect.

Can't argue with either of these. It's not just a maturity or personality thing either. I think they are right.

I have had a mature hen willingly submit to 15 week old roosters, but not many mature hens will. That Australorp would squat for anything in wattles. It is a matter of maturity and personality. Mature hens will often be pretty vicious to an immature rooster, but when the rooster matures enough to wow them with his magnificent personality, things change. If he is not the dominant rooster, they may never willingly submit to him, but then they might. Personality and maturity.

I read a study once that said younger hens are impressed by the size and appearance of the rooster, but mature hens are more impressed by how he takes care of them. If he dances for them, gives them treats, and warns them of danger, mature hens are more willing to submit to a rooster. That kind of behavior comes with maturity.

Back
Top Bottom