May 2013 Online Hatching Egg Swap closed addresses sent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about that - I'll ship Tuesday.
Hey, I got curious and had a dead egg that I apparently missed from the lockdown candle. I cracked it, it was at least far enough along I could tell what it was. I'm excited for these to hatch a whole lot more now! Yay, anconas!

barnie.gif

2 internally pipped ducklings and then they die shortly afterwards.
WHY does this keep happening!?!?

I have had this happen a bunch this year in both ducks and chicks and I am getting frustrated. It has never happened to any of my own eggs this year or any other year that I can think of. I am getting very disappointed with this. Am I doing something wrong here that I can not think of? If I am than why are my own eggs surviving and hatching?! Temps are 99-100 the whole time. Humidity on the duck eggs is 45-55, most of the time 50% and then hatching is 60-70 typically 65%. No sticky or stuck babies.

I HAVE NO CLUE!
Anyone?

barnie.gif

2 internally pipped ducklings and then they die shortly afterwards.
WHY does this keep happening!?!?

I have had this happen a bunch this year in both ducks and chicks and I am getting frustrated. It has never happened to any of my own eggs this year or any other year that I can think of. I am getting very disappointed with this. Am I doing something wrong here that I can not think of? If I am than why are my own eggs surviving and hatching?! Temps are 99-100 the whole time. Humidity on the duck eggs is 45-55, most of the time 50% and then hatching is 60-70 typically 65%. No sticky or stuck babies.

I HAVE NO CLUE!
Anyone?
Check your vents & make sure they are completely open. Only other thing I can think of is shipping stress. Some just don't have enough energy left for hatching by the time they get pipped once they have been shaken up during shipping.

Both vent plugs are removed on the LG's, they are forced air also. Had the same issues with the Brinsea octagon. Vents fully open there too.

I was bad and I had one duckling internally pipped since last night and it is still alive so I made a TINY pip hole for air to get in. If this one doesn't survive then I know it probably isn't lack of airflow.

Both vent plugs are removed on the LG's, they are forced air also. Had the same issues with the Brinsea octagon. Vents fully open there too.

I was bad and I had one duckling internally pipped since last night and it is still alive so I made a TINY pip hole for air to get in. If this one doesn't survive then I know it probably isn't lack of airflow.
Shipping stress is often the culprit.

CRAP, my eggs from sarasweatman were at the PO today and I was at work when they called! I'll have to go and get them first thing in the morning!

CRAP, my eggs from sarasweatman were at the PO today and I was at work when they called! I'll have to go and get them first thing in the morning!
Her Anconas hatch really well. I hatched 12/17 a few weeks ago. I kept a blue boy & a black boy & all but 1 of the black girls & all of the blue girls. That left 7 for me, a pair for a little boy for 4-H & 3 extra boys that went to the swap meet last weekend. I just swapped her for some more too.

Last edited:
My first ones from her are the ones that are pipping and quitting. I'm wondering if my hygrometer is wrong, I dropped the humidity and so far I have 3-4more internal pips and they are moving! I hate to think my hygrometer killed those first two but I'm really wondering...

My first ones from her are the ones that are pipping and quitting. I'm wondering if my hygrometer is wrong, I dropped the humidity and so far I have 3-4more internal pips and they are moving! I hate to think my hygrometer killed those first two but I'm really wondering...
I pretty much dry hatched them. I think my humidity was around 50% in still air for that batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom