MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am going to have to lock up my broody. That silly hen has somehow managed to acquire 9 more eggs! I took them from her last night. It was way more eggs than she could possibly sit on. Now, I am concerned that the developing eggs may have gotten cold in her attempts to hatch every egg she could get her feathers on.

On a bright note. All the duck eggs have finished hatching. And there are three new ducklings!! Yeah!! 2 girls and 1 boy!!
    [​IMG] The Girls!!

[​IMG] The boy!!

2. sasafras4u2

sasafras4u2 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Texas
    My Coop
    Got up this morning and i have 2 pips. Day 19 and I'm at work now! Its going to be a long 13hrs. Before I get home! Oh my I'll be burning up the phone lines calling my daughter to check on them!

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Congratulations!

Congratulations! Good luck with the broody hen!

[​IMG]

4. RoodyRodchester

RoodyRodchester Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas
    I'm 500+ posts behind but school is coming to an end for my bigger kids so trying to get summer plans ready so they aren't completely bored. And my 1 year old is trying to start the "terrible twos" early [​IMG] so I'm way behind. But a quick little update. I set 14 eggs on May 1st. 7 white leghorns and 7 black sex links. They are with what I believe to be a Black Cooper Maran roo but I could be wrong. While doing a quick fertility check on day 5 all my black sex link eggs look to be fertile and growing. My leghorns are duds except 2 that look like they tried very minimum and stopped. Just a streak of a vein. I believe this is because of her age because I know the rooster is doing his job. I've seen him constantly getting her. My black sex link is just over a year old now. Is she still considered a pullet? Anyways today is day 6 so I will candle tomorrow and pull any that are duds. I let the leghorns sit for a few more days just in case but I'm not hopeful. I'm patiently waiting for my ducks to start laying and for my babies to get bigger so I will have RIR, RSL, and barred rock eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I have two eggs right now from my Indian Blue hen. I will be putting a clutch in 4 days I have a Black Shoulder hen but I don't have a Black Shoulder male so I'm not incubating any of her eggs. I like to keep pure varieties the best I can. I do like splits but I like pure varieties so people don't get surprises when they're not expecting it.

6. Keraun

Keraun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I think I'll be putting in about 40 rhode island red x ee eggs in the next week.

May i ask, where do most of you get your fowl leg bands from? I want to order some but am not sure where the best place is. My local farm store only has size 9 and 11.

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Those ducklings are adorable! How do you now what gender they are? Did you vent sex them? I hope things go well with your broody.

9. KellyAdams96

KellyAdams96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    It's lockdown day for me! All 13 have movement and look ready to get out of there. [​IMG]

Now I'm off to construct a brooder. Lord only knows where my last one ended up. [​IMG]

10. Sueg4332

Sueg4332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Ceres, California
    its lock down for me too. Tonight will candle as I put them in the bottom of the dickie. I'll post varied and how many than.... Happy Hatching.... Everyone.....PS wish I lived where I could have peacocks. The turkeys are noise enough......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by