MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Sweet! I'm in!  I set a dozen eggs a few days too late for the Cinco de Mayo (did I spell that right?) HAL.  Also expecting more eggs next week.

Did you ask if you can join in anyway? I set a few days too late but I was able to join anyway.

I just realized something....The eggs I have in right now are for 3 HALS! April, CdM, and this May one. Wow.

I have a feeling this will be the LAST one until HALLOWEEN and not sure Mike and I will do that one     :oops:

NOOooooooooo!!! :hit

So happy to send Blooie some eggs!! I will definitely be hatching in May! I have one batch of call duck eggs due around May 9th. And then I will be setting a batch of silkie eggs this week. I ordered a new incubator (since the two I have will be full) :oops:. And as soon as it gets here I will set more silkie eggs, along with some Icelandic, buff brahma, and bantam Ameraucana eggs. Should be due around May 15-20th, depending when the new bator comes in! Excited to hatch with everyone!

Incidentally, the subtitle of this HAL reminds me of the school I work at, whose mascot is the Braves (100% Native American student body), land of the free, "Home of the Braves"

So happy to send Blooie some eggs!! I will definitely be hatching in May! I have one batch of call duck eggs due around May 9th. And then I will be setting a batch of silkie eggs this week. I ordered a new incubator (since the two I have will be full)
hide.gif
. And as soon as it gets here I will set more silkie eggs, along with some Icelandic, buff brahma, and bantam Ameraucana eggs. Should be due around May 15-20th, depending when the new bator comes in! Excited to hatch with everyone!
RUBY!!!
clap.gif
hugs.gif
there you are!!

Incidentally, the subtitle of this HAL reminds me of the school I work at, whose mascot is the Braves (100% Native American student body), land of the free, "Home of the Braves"
highfive.gif

In my defense.....

Katie is our 10 year old granddaughter. She is mildly autistic and has been our very best chicken sitter since she was 8 years old. Absolutely NO supervision required...she has a routine and she sticks to it! We've been out of town over a week and she's done a perfect job! So I won some eggs (I seem to have a bad habit of doing that!) and in the box were a Silkie, a Naked Neck, a Nankin, 2 Bantams, and a Cochin. She was all kinds of excited - she called it the start to her "silly flock". But the Silkie, the Nankin, and the Bantams were all clears. The Naked Neck and the Cochin are doing okay but have really loose air cells...so they are kinda iffy. She was pretty disappointed not to get the Silkie and Bantams, but Grampa bought her two Bantams at a local feed store. She was thrilled! Here she is putting one of her 2 Bantams under Mama Heating Pad, in with the two we hatched, Sweet Pea and Yokel (named our first hatched after @LocalYokel as promised) and a couple of others.

Then on another thread I was forced - coerced - hogtied - hornswaggled - into checking out RubyNala97's Silkie eggs and folks were so happy with her unique shipping and their great hatch rates that I said I might just have to consider that. The very next morning before school, Katie came over with her mom to drop off Kendra and she asked me if she could hang a couple of photos on my fridge. Of course! Aaaaand, there were 3 that she'd printed off the computer.....all Silkies. Um, yeah. So I thought about it most of the morning, then sent an ice-breaking PM to @RubyNala97

Look at that face after she read Ruby's PM - with photos of some of her Silkies. Now, YOU tell her no. I ain't gonna!

And that's how I came to be eligible for the May HAL. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:
Count me in. My confidence has been boosted by a 10 month old silki that hatched 3 yesterday and one this morning. Two eggs still under her. Who would have thought this little girl would have given me so much happiness! If I had the space or another coop I would let all my broody hens sit on eggs but then what would I do with all the peeps? Silki score 4, incubators score 0

of course everything is my fault.....
idunno.gif
are you going to tell me to GET OUT too?
lau.gif
Never!
hugs.gif

Sweet! I'm in! I set a dozen eggs a few days too late for the Cinco de Mayo (did I spell that right?) HAL. Also expecting more eggs next week.
Welcome!
woot.gif

Quote:
I have a feeling this will be the LAST one until HALLOWEEN and not sure Mike and I will do that one
hide.gif

I got nothing!

So happy to send Blooie some eggs!! I will definitely be hatching in May! I have one batch of call duck eggs due around May 9th. And then I will be setting a batch of silkie eggs this week. I ordered a new incubator (since the two I have will be full)
hide.gif
. And as soon as it gets here I will set more silkie eggs, along with some Icelandic, buff brahma, and bantam Ameraucana eggs. Should be due around May 15-20th, depending when the new bator comes in! Excited to hatch with everyone!
Welcome! I need to try some call ducks sometime.

I have a feeling this will be the LAST one until HALLOWEEN and not sure Mike and I will do that one
hide.gif
What! Ridiculousness! Though Halloween is my favorite holiday!!
big_smile.png

In my defense.....

Katie is our 10 year old granddaughter. She is mildly autistic and has been our very best chicken sitter since she was 8 years old. Absolutely NO supervision required...she has a routine and she sticks to it! We've been out of town over a week and she's done a perfect job! So I won some eggs (I seem to have a bad habit of doing that!) and in the box were a Silkie, a Naked Neck, a Nankin, 2 Bantams, and a Cochin. She was all kinds of excited - she called it the start to her "silly flock". But the Silkie, the Nankin, and the Bantams were all clears. The Naked Neck and the Cochin are doing okay but have really loose air cells...so they are kinda iffy. She was pretty disappointed not to get the Silkie and Bantams, but Grampa bought her two Bantams at a local feed store. She was thrilled! Here she is putting one of her 2 Bantams under Mama Heating Pad, in with the two we hatched, Sweet Pea and Yokel (named our first hatched after @LocalYokel as promised) and a couple of others.

Then on another thread I was forced - coerced - hogtied - hornswaggled - into checking out RubyNala97's Silkie eggs and folks were so happy with her unique shipping and their great hatch rates that I said I might just have to consider that. The very next morning before school, Katie came over with her mom to drop off Kendra and she asked me if she could hang a couple of photos on my fridge. Of course! Aaaaand, there were 3 that she'd printed off the computer.....all Silkies. Um, yeah. So I thought about it most of the morning, then sent an ice-breaking PM to @RubyNala97

Look at that face after she read Ruby's PM - with photos of some of her Silkies. Now, YOU tell her no. I ain't gonna!

And that's how I came to be eligible for the May HAL. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Ohhh ! you are the sweetest grammy EVER!!

I'm in, even though my last hatch was not very good, but i accidentally put 2 (lol) polish eggs in my bator last night, just 2 but they should be due 5/11

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom