MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I think I shall join in the fun.

I discovered one of my EE hens had laid and was trying to sit in the woods (not so brilliant)... so when I found her nest, I tried to relocate her and the eggs safely to the coop. She proceeded to throw the biggest tantrum in the history of chicken-dom and tore me up in the mean time.. where she acquired the official name of Sybil. She abandoned the eggs, which forced me to fire up the bator for the first time in a couple years.

She had 10 eggs, and I threw in 2 more to make it a an even dozen. I candled twice with 100% developing. Then before lockdown I candled again and have one - maybe two - quitters.

We went into lockdown this afternoon and best I can tell (from her trying to sit in the woods) they could be due as early as Monday? Technically May, so I'm in.

Below are pics of Sybil .. and my awesome roo, J.J. (yes, I'm a Texans fan!)

Happy Hatching!

Your birds are beautiful!! Theirr babies will be so cute!!

My EE roo looks a little bit like your EE hen!!! He's not quite as speckled as your hen is. He is getting a bit fancier as he's getting older. There is a bit more white in his hackle feathers now. This photo was from 2 months ago. That's why I want to see what his babies look like!!

I found a picture from 2 weeks ago. He's getting some yellow in his hackle feathers, and his tail is a beautiful shiny black/green. This picture doesn't really show how pretty the colors are.

Last edited:
I'll join have a bator full of eggs hatches 5-1, , 5-10 , 5 14 then a good friend is having pick up some blue eggs to set tomorrow. They should be fun I need a wheaten Ameraucana roo
He has blue egg from 2 wheaten ameraucana, 2 or 3 EEs, clb and one other hen can't remember what kind. I should beable to tell the true wheatens if I get their eggs. Fun guessing game.
got stuck with 2 dozen any body local want them cheap. they were saved for the 26th. If not I'll scramble them for the chickensPM me

He does, Jessimom! I really hope I get some more like her, but I'm clueless on the genetics, so we'll see!

I'll join have a bator full of eggs hatches 5-1, , 5-10 , 5 14 then a good friend is having pick up some blue eggs to set tomorrow. They should be fun I need a wheaten Ameraucana roo
He has blue egg from 2 wheaten ameraucana, 2 or 3 EEs, clb and one other hen can't remember what kind. I should beable to tell the true wheatens if I get their eggs. Fun guessing game.
got stuck with 2 dozen any body local want them cheap. they were saved for the 26th. If not I'll scramble them for the chickensPM me
WELCOME OVER!!! Thanks for putting the eggs out here for them!!

oh no and your not!!!  oh my!!

HA!!!

It's okay, I didn't want to go haha they offered but eh. My aunt and uncle are gonna be there and ya. They did this time share thing a little while ago where they put you up at a hotel like 3 days and you have to go to this 1 1/2 hour presentation one day so they are using it up. They have hotels all over but since my aunt & uncle are gonna be in Florida they settled on this one. It's gonna be kind of boring lol my aunt and uncle are driving, they are from Pennsylvania and were in North Carolina yesterday. My parents are flying down Sunday morning. It's only for 3 days and fortunately I just got my license 2-3 weeks ago and my brother will be home so all good :)

Ok... Today I did a solid candle on everything in my incubator. Day 13 survivors are as follows::: 8 duck eggs :::: 8 EE eggs ::::: 31 bantam eggs.

My day 10 eggs are as follows :::: 4 black Australorp eggs :::;; 2 black Australorp/ white leghorn eggs.

So far not bad considering 1 of the duck eggs was over 3 weeks old at time of setting. It's black so cool and the day 10 eggs haven't had a rooster for 2 weeks and I just added him back.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

My silver grey Dorking didn't lay yesterday but I didn't think much of it until she gave me TWO eggs today

What the heck happened?! I can't incubate that!

Back
Top Bottom