MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I have 38 cooking for May 10th. I'm not entering for the coop, I'm just here to get advice and encouragement from fellow chicken people. I could give a dossier of a story though. My grandfather (81 years young) was one of the original SF guys in the Army. Way back when SF wasn't even a thing. He is a great man and has help to make sure we have safe life here in the USA. Never have I met someone with so much heart.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I think I shall join in the fun.

I discovered one of my EE hens had laid and was trying to sit in the woods (not so brilliant)... so when I found her nest, I tried to relocate her and the eggs safely to the coop. She proceeded to throw the biggest tantrum in the history of chicken-dom and tore me up in the mean time.. where she acquired the official name of Sybil. She abandoned the eggs, which forced me to fire up the bator for the first time in a couple years.

She had 10 eggs, and I threw in 2 more to make it a an even dozen. I candled twice with 100% developing. Then before lockdown I candled again and have one - maybe two - quitters.

We went into lockdown this afternoon and best I can tell (from her trying to sit in the woods) they could be due as early as Monday? Technically May, so I'm in.

Below are pics of Sybil .. and my awesome roo, J.J. (yes, I'm a Texans fan!)

Happy Hatching!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    Broody hens are still sitting, but my eggs are being dwindled down due to toe nails. Looking into ordering hatching eggs or I am headed to the breeder tomorrow as well.

4. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    It looks like my turkey hens might start laying eggs again, if so, I will be setting turkey eggs soon as I get a week's worth.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Great! Good luck!

Yes, those will be incubating in May.

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join!

Good Luck!

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Welcome!

7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Yayyy

Oooohhh! Can't wait to see their babies!

1 person likes this.
  8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    York !!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] How are you feeling?

SET ALL EGGS!!! yes set with us!!!

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh !!! you must get some stories together of him!!! I would love to hear about his days! So glad your here!!! Welcome over!! and PLEASE join the contests too! Why wouldnt you! have at them! [​IMG]

Lovely!! She just wanted you to get the hatching bug didnt she!! lol Welcome over!!

Sweet!! Welcome!! toe nails? [​IMG] What are you going to hatch?

sweet!!! Welcome over!! how many is a weeks worth? I tread lightly on that one, one time someone said 102 lol

2 people like this.
  10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I know, DwaynNLiz. The only reason I decided to save the eggs was because I've never had an EE her color before. Can't wait to see what we get. She lays a green egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by