MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Quote: DONT SAY NO!!!!! those are all freakish things!! try again !!

Out of 18, I now have 5 rocks, 6 beautiful blue silkies, 1 rock that is still pipped and not zipped (hurry up, I need my incubator.), and yep, I did have 1 die from rolling over wrong, and 5 that never pipped.

I'm confused about that. 3 of the 5 died earlier, maybe at lockdown, and maybe even earlier. (I know that could happen in a nest too.)
But, the last two are from the same rooster/hen combo, and they both looked fully developed, yolk sac drawn in, heads turned and ready to internally pip, but no internal pip. They did have big vaulted skulls, and looked really nice, but no internal pip. I wonder why. I had a couple from the same rooster/hen combo do that last time too.
did you loose too much weight and at draw down they couldnt turn? so sorry about them

5 turkey eggs in lockdown due tomorrow .. no signs of them joining us on Cinco De Mayo....First time hatching turkeys.. nervous...
bow.gif

Meanwhile my farm store order should be coming in today or tomorrow so waiting for a phone call and for signs of hatching from the incubator...
yippiechickie.gif

other two incubators are full one of duck/turkey due the 14th and one of chicken eggs due the 19th of course both of these hatches are on weekends when I am busy and away... going to have to get another incubator and set some eggs to hatch Memorial day LOL
jumpy.gif
I don't think hubby would be happy if I bought another incubator or spent more money on eggs
jumpy.gif
It can be my graduation present to myself
lau.gif

I THINK YOU NEED THAT GRADUATION GIFT! Lord knows you deserve it!!!
fl.gif

I tried to wait a couple more days to have a few more Silkie eggs to set but I couldn't do it! I just set 6 under my experimental incubator, the "Electric Hen". I have not done a full incubation with this incubator but I did start some eggs with it and finished them in another incubator because I needed the thermostat for my emu eggs. They all hatched, which is rare for my seramas so I am excited to try it with Silkie eggs.

It is a contact incubator, made to mimic a broody hen, so the eggs go under it rather than inside. I have a diy egg-o-meter that is at a steady temp just under 100 degrees.

COOL !!!!!

Just put my 17 eggs on lockdown!!!
go babies!!!

I am at the opposite end of the house from the incubators. I have the brooder right next to the hatching chicks. First two chicks hatched earlier today, and are dry and fluffy. Since the hatcher is SO crowded, I pulled them out and put them in the brooder. One of those babies is screaming so loudly, I think people 2 houses over can hear it. I shine a light in the brooder, it calms down. Turn off the light, it screeches. Are little chicks afraid of the dark?

Or, is it hearing the 2 zippers in the next 'bator over, and it's encouraging? I have 11 pips, 2 zips and 2 chicks so far. I should have lots of fluffy babies in the morning!!!
I am glad your doing well this time around again!!!!!!!

Splash ameraucana is out!
Green magnolia is out!
Easter egger is out!
Olive egger is out.. with a single comb?

Just waiting on you, ameriflower...

I have to go to bed! Been glued to the incubator
olive egger part marans? GOOOOO BABIES!!!

cutie!!
I have 3 turkey eggs left
cute chickie!!!

As of right now I have 52 eggs cooking! 30 of them are due on mothers day!!!! The other 22 in 17-18 more days..... but maybe I have more babies to keep me busy. About ready to start moving the last group of 14 outside. Not sure how the girls are gonna like that. I'm starting intros tomorrow. Lol
fl.gif
fl.gif

I have a little oddity to show from the Easter Hatch along-

This is a little guy (?) that was supposed to be a Dark Brown Leghorn...there WAS a fence hopping Swedish Flower Hen rooster on the loose when this happened. The rooster is not crested and you wouldn't thing a DBL would have any propensity towards a crest, but if you look closely you can see a little white top hat. He is a cutie pie. He acts more like a Swede than a leghorn, i.e. not insane.

Its cute I have to say that!!! love that little crest, too bad its not a girly!!

Just locked down 7 turkey eggs. I thought they were due Saturday but no, they're due Friday. Oops! About half of the are already internally pipped lol
GOOD LUCK Jess!!!!

Quote: Thank you so much ANNA!!!! replied!

Ok. Lockdown is doing great.
you have a pip!!!! GOOOO BABIES!

I now have 5 rocks and 4 beautiful blue silkies. That is half of the eggs. 3 more are pipped, and I think I have 5 quitters, and one that got rolled too much. Waiting patiently for the last 3 to hatch. Started with 18.
awwwwwww by the time I quote these guys hatch!! lol

Ok. Lockdown is doing great.
fl.gif

I now have 5 rocks and 4 beautiful blue silkies. That is half of the eggs. 3 more are pipped, and I think I have 5 quitters, and one that got rolled too much. Waiting patiently for the last 3 to hatch. Started with 18.
Great. Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

I have a little oddity to show from the Easter Hatch along-

This is a little guy (?) that was supposed to be a Dark Brown Leghorn...there WAS a fence hopping Swedish Flower Hen rooster on the loose when this happened. The rooster is not crested and you wouldn't thing a DBL would have any propensity towards a crest, but if you look closely you can see a little white top hat. He is a cutie pie. He acts more like a Swede than a leghorn, i.e. not insane.

Def. looks like a swede roo got to the hen.

BTW, got Broody #12 today.

Out of cat boxes for them to sit in. Will have to see what they come up with now! A month ago I was getting 4 dozen eggs/day. Got a dozen today.

Thank goodness the leghorns and Silverudd Blue don't do broody! I am going to have a bunch of chicks hatch in May!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Broody #12!
th.gif

OE is hatched
EE egg is zipping
AMF egg is still just pipped
SA egg has a new pip!
nothing from the GM egg...
fl.gif
Good luck with the hatch!

Just locked down 7 turkey eggs. I thought they were due Saturday but no, they're due Friday. Oops! About half of the are already internally pipped lol
fl.gif
More poults!

Looks good! I have 10 eggs due in 2 weeks progressing well, though 1 of those is iffy. Looks like about 4% humidity lost. Anyone who weighs eggs, that sound about right for 1 week? I suck at judging air cells so decided weight would be good.

Washed out hatcher and will put my other 9 into lockdown tomorrow. Their weight also looks good, 11.5% weight lost. Air cells suck, though. Will need to hatch upright.

fl.gif

Who's keeping track this time?

Out of my 5 eggs due May 11 ish 4 have movement 1 looks like it has a blood ring but doesn't smell-so it stays

Woohoo!
woot.gif

Cute!

I have 3 turkey eggs left
fl.gif

As of right now I have 52 eggs cooking! 30 of them are due on mothers day!!!! The other 22 in 17-18 more days..... but maybe I have more babies to keep me busy. About ready to start moving the last group of 14 outside. Not sure how the girls are gonna like that. I'm starting intros tomorrow. Lol
Good luck!

I tried to wait a couple more days to have a few more Silkie eggs to set but I couldn't do it! I just set 6 under my experimental incubator, the "Electric Hen". I have not done a full incubation with this incubator but I did start some eggs with it and finished them in another incubator because I needed the thermostat for my emu eggs. They all hatched, which is rare for my seramas so I am excited to try it with Silkie eggs.

It is a contact incubator, made to mimic a broody hen, so the eggs go under it rather than inside. I have a diy egg-o-meter that is at a steady temp just under 100 degrees.

Good luck!

Just put my 17 eggs on lockdown!!!
fl.gif

I am at the opposite end of the house from the incubators. I have the brooder right next to the hatching chicks. First two chicks hatched earlier today, and are dry and fluffy. Since the hatcher is SO crowded, I pulled them out and put them in the brooder. One of those babies is screaming so loudly, I think people 2 houses over can hear it. I shine a light in the brooder, it calms down. Turn off the light, it screeches. Are little chicks afraid of the dark?

Or, is it hearing the 2 zippers in the next 'bator over, and it's encouraging? I have 11 pips, 2 zips and 2 chicks so far. I should have lots of fluffy babies in the morning!!!
Interesting, hope the screeching doesn't last more than a day. lol

Splash ameraucana is out!
Green magnolia is out!
Easter egger is out!
Olive egger is out.. with a single comb?

Just waiting on you, ameriflower...

I have to go to bed! Been glued to the incubator
woot.gif

Out of 18, I now have 5 rocks, 6 beautiful blue silkies, 1 rock that is still pipped and not zipped (hurry up, I need my incubator.), and yep, I did have 1 die from rolling over wrong, and 5 that never pipped.

I'm confused about that. 3 of the 5 died earlier, maybe at lockdown, and maybe even earlier. (I know that could happen in a nest too.)
But, the last two are from the same rooster/hen combo, and they both looked fully developed, yolk sac drawn in, heads turned and ready to internally pip, but no internal pip. They did have big vaulted skulls, and looked really nice, but no internal pip. I wonder why. I had a couple from the same rooster/hen combo do that last time too.
Congratulations on the new chicks.

5 turkey eggs in lockdown due tomorrow .. no signs of them joining us on Cinco De Mayo....First time hatching turkeys.. nervous...
bow.gif

Meanwhile my farm store order should be coming in today or tomorrow so waiting for a phone call and for signs of hatching from the incubator...
yippiechickie.gif

other two incubators are full one of duck/turkey due the 14th and one of chicken eggs due the 19th of course both of these hatches are on weekends when I am busy and away... going to have to get another incubator and set some eggs to hatch Memorial day LOL
jumpy.gif
I don't think hubby would be happy if I bought another incubator or spent more money on eggs
jumpy.gif
It can be my graduation present to myself
lau.gif

Good luck with your hatches! I hope you see some poults soon.

I HAVE A PIP!!!! Yeah!!!! I'm going to have babies soon.
woot.gif

Welp, I ended up candling the quail eggs last night because I needed room for some more quail eggs my mother bought. 23 out of 75 were ether infertile (totally clear) or really early quitters (tiny amounts of development, but no real anything). One of those 24 was rotten, I'm talking grey, goooey, crushed the second I tried to remove from the turner and woohoo did it stink. The four eggs around it were three normal developers and one clear. I also candled the welsummer eggs again since it's past 10 days. Out of 12, 8 were clears :/ 4 were developing strong, though, so fingers crossed! My meat chicken eggs, out of the 10 (of 15) who arrived unbroken, only four have developed anything...which is not entirely unexpected considering the actual packaging was crushed at one corner and one egg was shattered and had dribbled over all the good eggs in the two days they took to get to me. Stupid postage. I've emailed the seller about getting new ones since the box was priority and, therefore ensured and she forgot to write the words "fragile" and "Hatching Eggs" on the outsided of the box...

I now have all quail eggs in one bator, 6 new duck eggs, 15 more quail eggs, and 15 button quail eggs (my mom is obsessed with them and now that my father knows I'm hatching, she brought me some to hatch for her...plus can you imagine pickled button quail eggs? So cute). I have Cayuga eggs, pekin eggs, 12 duck eggs, and 12 muscovy eggs coming and my mom and I are heading to pick up 4 dozen coturnix/texas AM quail eggs this saturday. I guess I better finish my mini fridge bator and pulg it in this week xD

My meat birds got here! Cross your fingers the bantam Cochin and all for that matter are ok! Picking them up now!

Welp, I ended up candling the quail eggs last night because I needed room for some more quail eggs my mother bought. 23 out of 75 were ether infertile (totally clear) or really early quitters (tiny amounts of development, but no real anything). One of those 24 was rotten, I'm talking grey, goooey, crushed the second I tried to remove from the turner and woohoo did it stink. The four eggs around it were three normal developers and one clear. I also candled the welsummer eggs again since it's past 10 days. Out of 12, 8 were clears :/ 4 were developing strong, though, so fingers crossed! My meat chicken eggs, out of the 10 (of 15) who arrived unbroken, only four have developed anything...which is not entirely unexpected considering the actual packaging was crushed at one corner and one egg was shattered and had dribbled over all the good eggs in the two days they took to get to me. Stupid postage. I've emailed the seller about getting new ones since the box was priority and, therefore ensured and she forgot to write the words "fragile" and "Hatching Eggs" on the outsided of the box...

I now have all quail eggs in one bator, 6 new duck eggs, 15 more quail eggs, and 15 button quail eggs (my mom is obsessed with them and now that my father knows I'm hatching, she brought me some to hatch for her...plus can you imagine pickled button quail eggs? So cute). I have Cayuga eggs, pekin eggs, 12 duck eggs, and 12 muscovy eggs coming and my mom and I are heading to pick up 4 dozen coturnix/texas AM quail eggs this saturday. I guess I better finish my mini fridge bator and pulg it in this week xD

Aww I'm sorry. I've got black Australorp eggs and blk austra/white leghorn mix eggs going into the incubator once I get everything hatched this go around.

Where are you at?? Those Australorp roosters are big pretty meat birds and the hens lay almost every day.

I've never shipped myself but if you want some I would try it. Even a few might help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom