MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

This is why i do not like NOT being home for stuff. I saw pips this morning but i have to go to work. I left at 6am i get home at 8. Well 1 hatched. Then 2 more were zipping my kids at home sent me a pic. I see the hygrometer is at 45% i called her told her to add some wayer through the syringe i have set up through the vent with iv tubing .she said its at 71% does it still need water. I said no , but why the difference? She opened it to get the shell out and to get the chick unstuck from the carton :he OMG by this time my grandson who was watching and is almost 8 thought he would help by doing what ... putting the water in the syringe in the trough for her. So she calls me tells me the humidity is at 99% "is that okay?"...:eek: omg.... now i have 3 hatchlings none are dried my cartons that were holding the eggs upright are wet! Wet wet :hit so at 99% and there is condesation on the lid i very quickly removed the eggs from the carton laid them down replaced the lid. Then i took the syringe and pulled water out through my tubing. My humidity is now at 88% still to high just hoping its okay. Lots of pips going on.
One chick wont open its eyes not sure if they are stuck or what it is also maybe squishy? Kind of bloated looking has wet poo stuck to its bottom but is moving around the bator climbing all over the other eggs.

Any advice?

Last edited:
First time Broody-Hatcher here... I have a Silkie that goes broody every 6-8 weeks. It take me several weeks to break her, and then 2-3 weeks later she's back on a nest doing her best to hatch non-fertile eggs.
he.gif
So last week I broke down and bought 7 eggs from Papa's Poutlry.

So I'm in!! I'm going to let her try to hatch 3 chocolate and 4 lavender mottled Orpingtons!
thumbsup.gif
I gave them to her Thursday morning, and she "back-hoed" them under her one by one. Due date is Friday, May 27th! I planned that so I'd have the nice long weekend to spend with some new babies. (hopefully!!)

Cross your fingers that she doesn't decide to stop being broody now that I bought her some eggs!
clap.gif

47 quail eggs spread between two hatchers since I'm not sure which one's the best. Why not experiment, eh? At least one egg was already rocking and I could hear him pecking when I put the egg to my ear. One more early quitter in the bunch that I missed last time. The ducks are in incubators now and my mother's 50 quail eggs took my eggs' place. Tuesday is lockdown for almost 40 chicken eggs and the ducks will be moved to the turners. Hopefully their air sacks will settle by then. :)

Our first ever broody, Ruby (Begonia) is a mama just in time for Mother's Day! She's hatched 3 so far, we removed 2 clears and put 2 chickens hatched earlier today + 3 pipped eggs. Looks like we'll have at least two BLRW! :weee

Last edited:
Quick question. When you go into lockdown and add extra water, how long does it take for the room temp water to heat up to 99 degrees in a styrobator? Do you all typically add room temp water, or warm water? I've lost a couple right about the time I lockdown, and just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

I use cold water. It shouldn't matter which you use.

I use cold water. It shouldn't matter which you use.

You are supposed to use warm water.
Though I doubt that is the reason for your losses.

Ok, thank you both. I'm officially in lockdown and have a very special one in there. I also used a net bag for the first time, because my rocks get pretty active in there, and I don't want them hurting my special show silkie one. My really good best of show hen hasn't layed in a very long time, and she layed me a couple of eggs. There is only on in this batch, and I want it to hatch very very badly.
fl.gif
If I had another incubator, I would put it all by itself.

First time Broody-Hatcher here... I have a Silkie that goes broody every 6-8 weeks. It take me several weeks to break her, and then 2-3 weeks later she's back on a nest doing her best to hatch non-fertile eggs.
he.gif
So last week I broke down and bought 7 eggs from Papa's Poutlry.

So I'm in!! I'm going to let her try to hatch 3 chocolate and 4 lavender mottled Orpingtons!
thumbsup.gif
I gave them to her Thursday morning, and she "back-hoed" them under her one by one. Due date is Friday, May 27th! I planned that so I'd have the nice long weekend to spend with some new babies. (hopefully!!)

Cross your fingers that she doesn't decide to stop being broody now that I bought her some eggs!
clap.gif

I love it! Back-hoed them under one by one! So true!

Back
Top Bottom