MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Well, this morning just took a turn for the worse. Eggs under the broody hen were beginning to pip and eggs inside were beginning to pip. All was looking good until I got a smell of Mama's nest. She was trying to sit on the eggs while also trying to get as far away from the nest as possible. Apparently, one of the eggs was rotten and exploded all over the nest and the other eggs.
sickbyc.gif
Ants were already beginning to crawl all over the nest. Not good!!!

In a desperate effort to save as many of the hatching chicks as I could I snatched up all the remaining eggs, slipped some fake eggs under Mama Hen, and rushed them to the inside hatcher. After a quick wipe off with a dry paper towel and a quick candling the eggs went into the hatcher to finish hatching. Once they are hatched I will slip them back under Mama Hen.

th.gif
Good luck and I hope it works out.

Well, this morning just took a turn for the worse. Eggs under the broody hen were beginning to pip and eggs inside were beginning to pip. All was looking good until I got a smell of Mama's nest. She was trying to sit on the eggs while also trying to get as far away from the nest as possible. Apparently, one of the eggs was rotten and exploded all over the nest and the other eggs.
sickbyc.gif

In a desperate effort to save as many of the hatching chicks as I could I snatched up all the remaining eggs, slipped some fake eggs under Mama Hen, and rushed them to the inside hatcher. After a quick wipe off with a dry paper towel and a quick candling the eggs went into the hatcher to finish hatching. Once they are hatched I will slip them back under Mama Hen.

th.gif
ot dah I

I had to candle to make sure there weren't anymore rotten eggs in the bunch. It was a bit too late for the "sniff" test, since the smell of rotten egg was already everywhere.

Update! The leghorn hen I thought was going broody decided after 2 days she had had enough. I could not put them in my incubator as I have some already in there due in 5 days so they were tossed. I was really hoping she would sit. Maybe later I'll get a broody hen that likes to sit.

The incubator however gave me quite a scare earlier. Was in my room cleaning and rearranging furniture when I heard the alarm going off. It's been running excellent the last 18 days so I was quiet shocked to hear it go off. Went in and the temperature was dropping fast. It's been some crazy Arkansas weather here the last few days with 80s all week and now 58 right now. So it's pretty cool in the house. I hurried and put the incubator in a styrofoam bottom and quickly turned it off and back on. It has started to level out the temp again but I'm going to keep the styrofoam on it just in case. I'm on day 17 so this couldn't of happened at a worse time. The inside temp got down to 95 so I'm hoping it will be ok and didn't cause any damage. Fingers crossed!

Update! The leghorn hen I thought was going broody decided after 2 days she had had enough. I could not put them in my incubator as I have some already in there due in 5 days so they were tossed. I was really hoping she would sit. Maybe later I'll get a broody hen that likes to sit.

The incubator however gave me quite a scare earlier. Was in my room cleaning and rearranging furniture when I heard the alarm going off. It's been running excellent the last 18 days so I was quiet shocked to hear it go off. Went in and the temperature was dropping fast. It's been some crazy Arkansas weather here the last few days with 80s all week and now 58 right now. So it's pretty cool in the house. I hurried and put the incubator in a styrofoam bottom and quickly turned it off and back on. It has started to level out the temp again but I'm going to keep the styrofoam on it just in case. I'm on day 17 so this couldn't of happened at a worse time. The inside temp got down to 95 so I'm hoping it will be ok and didn't cause any damage. Fingers crossed!
fl.gif
Sounds like you caught it quickly enough and there shouldn't be any issues.

:fl Sounds like you caught it quickly enough and there shouldn't be any issues.
I really hope so! Thank goodness for alarms on the incubator. I've been trying to be more hands off and have only candled on day 5, 7 and 14. And checking temp through the window. So I've kind of tried to ignore it so in not hovering. If the alarm hadn't of went off there's no telling how long it would of been dropping temp before I noticed.

I really hope so! Thank goodness for alarms on the incubator. I've been trying to be more hands off and have only candled on day 5, 7 and 14. And checking temp through the window. So I've kind of tried to ignore it so in not hovering. If the alarm hadn't of went off there's no telling how long it would of been dropping temp before I noticed.

Having the alarm sounds like a useful thing.

Not to tempt you, but...

Sorry, the breed is just gorgeous, and, you know, any excuse to share pictures
tongue.png

Interestingly enough I do believe bantam ayam cemanis exist, I've seen pictures, they're just extremely rare and I don't think in the US yet. But the breed isn't very big to begin with - my TM line hens are about silkie sized.
I love them! I always have, what part of VT are you in??

I have a pip today! The other two eggs have done nothing. Today is day 21.
Woohooo!!

I have one Silkie out. It looks silvery/lavender with yellow wing tips and feet.... Can't wait till it's fluffy!! One black showgirl is almost hatched. One tiny Serama too, from a micro frizzle egg.

I have 3 silkies almost day 18. Duck eggs are sleeping.
Didn't happen if theres no proof
PICTURES :)

sickbyc.gif

th.gif
ewww!!
Good LUCK!!!

you were quick so i bet they will be just fine
fl.gif

thumbsup.gif

Im here again! I have turkey and chicken eggs in the bators. Im kind of nervous about the turkeys, they were shipped eggs and i candled them but I couldnt really see much..

I also realized this morning that my lovely silkie is broody.. again.. she is sitting in the nesting boxes my bucklings slept in.. so I have to find them a new bed! lol

Back
Top Bottom