May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Two babies this morning :) power went out at 1am, so spent a half hour in the dark setting up the small generator for the incubators. Would have eggs full of dead birds if it wasn’t for the generators!

Both of them were malpositioned and needed help, but both walking around fluffing up now. 1 more left, then turkeys are up next :D

Turkey feed question... should I just buy a bag of turkey grower? Mix it with chick grower? 🤔 I will have chicken babies and turkey babies brooding together. How does anyone else handle this situation?
I give them both the 24% game chick starter by dumor

Woke up this morning to 2 of my Delaware eggs hatched. Had another that looked like it was zipping, but upon closer look the chick was not moving. It had zipped about an inch and had continued without breaking the shell until it was upside down and died in shell. Pretty sure my last 2 gold Appenzeller eggs are DIS. Did the ring/nail test over them and the nail did not move. (That is one thing I have found the ring/nail test to be accurate on during my experiment - if the egg is clear, a quitter, or DIS the nail will not move at all)

20200514_135606.jpg

Just a little cuteness that only chicken lovers would appreciate: 4 day old chick's tail feathers.

Then we went to get an oil change and 2 more hatched! Now, 5 was a bit crowded so they've been moved to the brooder. One remains... but yes- the incubator got real small, real fast, lol.
The first of my goslings was a bit spraddle-legged. I think it was from not being able to stand in the incubator. After that that I got them all out immediately. Nobody else had a problem. (I did have the magic nubbley rubbery shelf paper in there.)

Two babies this morning :) power went out at 1am, so spent a half hour in the dark setting up the small generator for the incubators. Would have eggs full of dead birds if it wasn’t for the generators!

Both of them were malpositioned and needed help, but both walking around fluffing up now. 1 more left, then turkeys are up next :D

Turkey feed question... should I just buy a bag of turkey grower? Mix it with chick grower? 🤔 I will have chicken babies and turkey babies brooding together. How does anyone else handle this situation?
Get the turkey/gamebird feed if you can find it. The highest protein you can find is best. It won't hurt your chicks and the poults will thrive. Going on, Flock raiser or All flock. Turkeys have special needs vitamine-wise, that won't usually be provided for in regular chicken feeds. @R2elk could give you a better answer than I can, but I think this is right.

Where do you get it? My store doesn’t carry any game feed 😭
I got mine at TSC it’s by Dumor. It’s 24% protein for game birds. Just look down the chicken aisle. It has a turkey poult and some other chick on the front.
The first of my goslings was a bit spraddle-legged. I think it was from not being able to stand in the incubator. After that that I got them all out immediately. Nobody else had a problem. (I did have the magic nubbley rubbery shelf paper in there.)
shelf liner rocks when it comes to bators

Back
Top Bottom