May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Thanks! I have read so much conflicting information, not sure what to think anymore!:)

The conflict comes from everyone's location. I live in the high desert at 5300 ft above sea level. I incubate at 60 percent for the first week mid to high 50's the second week and hit 70 Percent for lockdown. Due to my conditions, anything else ends up with dead mummified chicks.

Where are you located?

My 6 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana eggs are progressing right along this morning. About half the air cells are starting to draw down, so I pulled the turner. They aren't "due" to hatch until late Tuesday or Wednesday; I'll keep candling until I see signs of pipping. My new coop should be finished up on Monday, making room for me to get my shipped chicks out of the brooder right before this bunch hatches. Nothing like cutting it close!

The conflict comes from everyone's location. I live in the high desert at 5300 ft above sea level. I incubate at 60 percent for the first week mid to high 50's the second week and hit 70 Percent for lockdown. Due to my conditions, anything else ends up with dead mummified chicks.

Where are you located?
How is 50% humidity inside an incubator at sea level different than 50% humidity inside an incubator at 5000' above sea level?

I need to pull my turners tonight I’m due to go on lockdown and I didn’t even realize it 😫 time gets away from me sometimes. We pulled out one infertile a few days ago. The dark eggs will be anybody’s guess till probably day 25. I guess that’s why some looked like they could be drawing down. I thought it was early but really it wasn’t .

3 quitters, 3 out of 4 remaining have hatched, one still in the incubator has not pipped.

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_103304_907.jpg
    IMG_20200515_103304_907.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 3
Ok lovely chicken friends (and other poultry folk as well):frow. I need some advice.
My silkie eggs are now at day 11.
I went through quite an ordeal to get them. They were shipped across the pacific, so they went through an ordeal as well! Out of 16, 13 look great, beautiful veining and embryo movement. 2 have the saddles we discussed previously (sitting upright in cartons and hoping for the best) and one was infertile and I tossed it yesterday. My dilemma now is keeping the humidity down. My ambient humidity is 60% in the house. I do not have a dehumidifier. After reading the threads here, I have just placed a 1/4 cup charcoal in the incubator in a cup. I do not have any water added. The humidity in the incubator is running between 55-60%. have placed rice mixed with salt and baking soda in my other incubator that has marans eggs (day 10) in it, as they are suppose to run even drier. I will try the charcoal in there as well if the rice mixture does not work.
Attached photos of the pencil markings on the silkies between days 7 and 11. Most have almost no difference and a few have a slight difference. Any other ideas? I would hate for these little sweeties to drown! Thanks! :love

View attachment 2142670
I noticed something like this with my eggs that went into lockdown on Thursday. It didn't seem like the air cell moved much from day 7 to day 14, but at day 18 they had drawn down considerably. Now I have over 20 babies bouncing around my bator, they all came at least a day early. :wee

How is 50% humidity inside an incubator at sea level different than 50% humidity inside an incubator at 5000' above sea level?

Altitude is known for affecting the outcome of hatch. It's usually recommended to have a slightly higher humidity when you're high altitude. It has something to do with air pressure and lower oxygen levels causing gases to move more rapidly and the eggs lose weight faster.

Altitude is known for affecting the outcome of hatch. It's usually recommended to have a slightly higher humidity when you're high altitude. It has something to do with air pressure and lower oxygen levels causing gases to move more rapidly and the eggs lose weight faster.

Also ambient humidity would be really low in high desert. I only realised in Jan when i did a hatch that central heating in your home massively screws with the humidity in your bator. In the summer its never on so the ambient humidity stays constant, in the winter the central heating drys the air out in the house.

Back
Top Bottom