May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Evening update:

8 chicks alive and well! 3 eggs still in limbo, no progress to be seen. Wondering if I should check for internal pips before I go to bed.

4 gold, 4 black. One of the black chicks has a Van Dyke (beard) style white marking, and another looks like the penguin Lovelace from the movie Happy Feet :gigtwo of the golds have some black striping and a head spot. I'll try to do individual pictures tomorrow once they are well rested and fluffy.

IMG_20200430_213307.jpg
IMG_20200430_213246.jpg

Um, YES!! I just paid $4/egg for my local eggs (and I drove two hours away to get them)!! I also had some shipped and paid slightly less per egg but then also had to pay shipping... so those work out to slightly more per egg total.
I do know I have very fertile eggs. I really enjoy seeing all the colors we have been getting. I have no idea what's going to pop out of these eggs this time. I changed over roosters and my new ones have been mating with everyone. The Jersey giant should be fading out now that he's been gone for about 3 weeks. Now I won't see mostly black chicks.

You can feel the tendon sliding and the back of the hock is flat.
Thank you, I have a chick that I've been splitting every day for a few hours, for splay leg. I felt it's leg but everything seems ok, but Iam not sure so I have left the splint on over night and will check it later this morning. How long can you leave the splint on, safely

Thank you, I have a chick that I've been splitting every day for a few hours, for splay leg. I felt it's leg but everything seems ok, but Iam not sure so I have left the splint on over night and will check it later this morning. How long can you leave the splint on, safely
Depends on your splint. As long as it’s not rubbing skin raw or the chick 🐣 isn’t outgrowing it, the splint should be ok. You can probably take it off and reapply every 1-2 days if it’s staying clean and the skin looks good.

Evening update:

8 chicks alive and well! 3 eggs still in limbo, no progress to be seen. Wondering if I should check for internal pips before I go to bed.

4 gold, 4 black. One of the black chicks has a Van Dyke (beard) style white marking, and another looks like the penguin Lovelace from the movie Happy Feet :gigtwo of the golds have some black striping and a head spot. I'll try to do individual pictures tomorrow once they are well rested and fluffy.

View attachment 2116891View attachment 2116892
Pretty! Looks like a gold partridge pattern on one!

Back
Top Bottom