May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I'm in a similar position with 2 broodies simultaneously, but mine free range; could this still happen if they can run away?
Probably not if they're not enclosed in a run. Have lots of hiding spaces for the broody to get a at from everyone and you should be fine. She will protect them, but closed quarters make things very stressful for everyone.

I think my incubator must have cold spots or something. I can move my accurate thermometer around and get a different reading. I have the thermostat set to the right temp( that I figured out before setting the eggs) and the eggs feel warm like they should. Maybe it's just time to get a new thermometer. After the spike I had yesterday I just really don't know what to do. These eggs are only on day 3 so hopefully they will be ok. I might take the helpful hint about insulating around the outside of the bator. I just don't know, these are eggs from my own flock so no money lost, I just hate to see them go to waste.:(

I think my incubator must have cold spots or something. I can move my accurate thermometer around and get a different reading. I have the thermostat set to the right temp( that I figured out before setting the eggs) and the eggs feel warm like they should. Maybe it's just time to get a new thermometer. After the spike I had yesterday I just really don't know what to do. These eggs are only on day 3 so hopefully they will be ok. I might take the helpful hint about insulating around the outside of the bator. I just don't know, these are eggs from my own flock so no money lost, I just hate to see them go to waste.:(
I would have more than one thermometer at first but all the same type and find out where your cold spots are.

Start them all off in the same spot in the incubator and make sure that they all have the same reading. Then separate them all to different areas. I know that my incubator on a lot of the sidewalls are where the cold spots are. The only side wall that does not have a cold spot is the one where the heat comes from.

I wouldn't use any type of digital thermometer, I use the glass thermometers that you find in the fish section at Walmart or at pet stores. I find those to be the most accurate.

I would have more than one thermometer at first but all the same type and find out where your cold spots are.

Start them all off in the same spot in the incubator and make sure that they all have the same reading. Then separate them all to different areas. I know that my incubator on a lot of the sidewalls are where the cold spots are. The only side wall that does not have a cold spot is the one where the heat comes from.

I wouldn't use any type of digital thermometer, I use the glass thermometers that you find in the fish section at Walmart or at pet stores. I find those to be the most accurate.
When I first started this incubator up that's what I did, before I added the eggs. I had two accurate thermometers in there and they both read exactly the same. I left it like that for a couple days, with no changes. I thought I was good to go. I had to fiddle with this bator (little giant digital/with fan) to get it just right. I put the eggs in Monday morning and everything was great until yesterday. So that's why I'm thinking it's the thermometer. I think I'm going to go to PetSmart this afternoon after I get off work and get one of those reptile kind that I can feed the probe through the hole on top. I used to have one, but quit incubating for a few years and now I can't find it. It worked great. I'm just hoping my little's can survive all this. I guess I will find out next week on my first candle. ( I'll probably even do a spot check on day 5) just to see if they are still viable. It's just disheartening to think I might have killed my babies.

I tried the ones from the fish section, they shattered on me. It was crazy and I have had it happen twice now.

So I brought a few Govees and have them going they seem to keep temp pretty good and I can calibrate it if I find it is wrong.

I have Cochins and Bantam Brahmas. The bantam Brahmas are new though. The Cochins are almost 2 years old.
I get the eggs three times a day, which I see as a deterrent to broody. I could be wrong, don't the chickens need a clutch of eggs to give them the idea to be broody? I know my Barred Rocks started to complain at me about stealing four eggs, but then they get over it. If I had more than one nest box, I may plant ceramic eggs to see if it triggers one.

I tried the ones from the fish section, they shattered on me. It was crazy and I have had it happen twice now.

So I brought a few Govees and have them going they seem to keep temp pretty good and I can calibrate it if I find it is wrong.
Never had any shatter before. Are you bringing them from cold to hot? I know glass will shatter if it goes from one extreme to the next. I leave mine in the bator for months and so far nothing has happened. My bators run 24/7 for months straight 🤦🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom