May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Fertility has not been an issue for us. We set shipped marans eggs last year. We had some quitters but most were dead in shell; failed to internally pip. None hatched. This year we decided to breed our own, even though their egg shell isn’t as dark as we’d hoped for. Out of the 8 set, we had one quitter and two failed to internally pip. That’s certainly a big improvement and I’m glad more than 50% hatched! However, the OE we set with them did a lot better. All of the OE hatched that made it alive to 18 days. I’ve seen a few other people say that marans eggs are harder to hatch, so I just wondered what everyone else’s experiences were.
So I checked mine and pulled 2 it looks like they were quitters. They hatch on the 21st so we shall see what comes out. I need to get my butt moving today and go do the quail aviary. I would like them to go outside because they are old enough to. Crazy at 3 weeks old they are almost fully feathered.

The bunnies made an escape out of their box according to my husband. One was sleeping on my pillow that is in the spare room :lau

2 more hatched!
0D2FA4E6-4A71-416F-94F8-2A5AE7838600.jpeg

:ya (Sorry for the awful pics)
So far I have 2 female Bielefelder, 1 male Bielefelder, 2 English Orpingtons, one Wyandotte, and tons of pips!

Well, I went back and tried to calculate when I actually set my eggs, and either Sunday or Monday- yesterday- would have been day 28.

We still have no pips and no movement, although last night I played duckling sounds and one egg rocked a little.

I just candled all of them and I think I see movement (or at least shadows moving?) so I guess I'll continue being impatient. And stressed.

Hatching is seriously for the birds. :barnie

What are these? They were sent to TSC on accident and they had no clue. I got them for $0.50 a piece a few weeks ago. They had ordered meat chickens and these were in the order, the TSC said they were Cornish rocks or leghorns... 😂 you can laugh because I did.

They have feathered legs and look amazing.

View attachment 2136126View attachment 2136129View attachment 2136132

Light brahma maybe? Compare to these pics: http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8007248

Well, I went back and tried to calculate when I actually set my eggs, and either Sunday or Monday- yesterday- would have been day 28.

We still have no pips and no movement, although last night I played duckling sounds and one egg rocked a little.

I just candled all of them and I think I see movement (or at least shadows moving?) so I guess I'll continue being impatient. And stressed.

Hang in there!

Ducklings take forever

Back
Top Bottom