May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

First lavender Ameraucana baby is out of the shell and in the dryer! At this point I’ll be happy with one chick out of 14 so happy one hatched at all!:wee
F548E267-C5E8-453F-9A9E-B788F19BBE20.jpeg

Yeah I did. The person I saw used zip ties so I will probably do that. Although they also had a support piece in the middle and I’m wondering if that might be better. 🤔 but it made more sense to me to just get the longer single piece of pipe haha we’ll see. It’s 5x2. This is theirs. I’m not sure yet whether to do the tractor thing or cover the bottom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/homemade-pvc-quail-cage.909525/
You'll need the middle support piece, for sure. If it were steel pipe, plus the stiff hardware cloth, maybe not, but for PVC, definitely. I would also add two uprights on each of the long ends. A chop saw is the easiest way to cut your pipe, but VERY loud. When you're sure you have it the way you want it, prime and cement the joints or you'll be using a lot of strong language as you move it around. The color from the primer does not wash off. Be careful with it if that matters to you. It runs even faster than water. I think the zip ties will work very well. Good luck with it! 🥰

You'll need the middle support piece, for sure. If it were steel pipe, plus the stiff hardware cloth, maybe not, but for PVC, definitely. I would also add two uprights on each of the long ends. A chop saw is the easiest way to cut your pipe, but VERY loud. When you're sure you have it the way you want it, prime and cement the joints or you'll be using a lot of strong language as you move it around. The color from the primer does not wash off. Be careful with it if that matters to you. It runs even faster than water. I think the zip ties will work very well. Good luck with it! 🥰
Thank you!!! This is extremely helpful!!! :)

You can quickly raise the humidity for lockdown by adding warm water, but if the air cells are too small, I wouldn't add water until external pips happen. You'd have to watch closely.
Here's a picture of them from just a few minutes ago. The three rings are the air sacs from Day 7, Day 14 and just now. I am hours away from Day 18. Humidity is at 40% now. The camera is looking down just a bit and the tray is tilted just slightly forward. Thoughts?
Test Batch 1 Day 17.jpg

You know how they say people see faces in inanimate objects. (Pareidolia.) What do they call it when you hear sounds that sound like something else? I was pouring wine from one bottle to the other. (Don't ask why.) It was making a tic-tic sound that made me think of a chick in an egg that had pipped but not hatched.

Back
Top Bottom