May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I'm along for the ride even if it's just to see sweet peep pictures! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Though in all likelihood I will be setting some peafowl eggs too. LOL
speaking of peafowl my friend was telling me that she is surprised that I haven't done them yet 😂

I have ducks, chickens, and quail in my incubator right now 🙈 I'm ashamed of myself

I have eggs from MH coming next weekish, so those should hatch in the beginning of May!

12 CCL, 3 partridge cochin, 3 speckled sussex, 1 welsummer.

I'm going to be hatching a lot from my own flock this year, too, so I can get this down. Best hatch rate so far is 57% (excludes infertile eggs) and I really want to get that number up!
I really can't wait to cycle a different breed of rooster through my flock so that I can see how they grow out.

Even though I am completely obsessed with the Jersey giant breed, I don't think I will ever try to cross them again for meat birds.

When we butchered the last one he was 16 weeks old and the meat was very sparse compared to an easter egger cockerel.

We don't have Squatch's 2 offspring pullets because my friend really wanted them. He brought them home and I'm not even joking with you, they laid eggs the next day 🙄 They are 20 weeks old. He really likes them.

I really can't wait to cycle a different breed of rooster through my flock so that I can see how they grow out.

Even though I am completely obsessed with the Jersey giant breed, I don't think I will ever try to cross them again for meat birds.

When we butchered the last one he was 16 weeks old and the meat was very sparse compared to an easter egger cockerel.

We don't have Squatch's 2 offspring pullets because my friend really wanted them. He brought them home and I'm not even joking with you, they laid eggs the next day 🙄 They are 20 weeks old. He really likes them.
I'm so surprised to hear that JG was less than an EE! Ive been wanting to get JG just to see how they do in meat... Currently I have a Brahma Roo, a RIR hybrid roo, and I believe a freedom ranger roo. Man that freedom ranger is heavy with massive legs and breast! I have 3 of his sons with me still, almost 4 months old and they're massive boys. I don't hear much about people using freedom rangers, but man I'm impressed by how fast his kids grew and packed on weight. I have pics of you're interested.

I hope to join you! I'm testing out my first incubator before adding eggs soon, probably this weekend! I am saving eggs from an Appenzeller Spitzhauben pair and a Sebright crossed w Spitzhauben. Each day I add new eggs (if any,) and remove older ones. I think I can fit 9-12 of these (some small and some tiny) eggs in my Janoel 12. We are getting some colder weather, and since the ambient temp in the house fluctuates quite a bit, I want to see how the incubator behaves at lows and highs. So far, it's holding steady. I have a 2nd thermometer/hygrometer coming. I'm still fiddling w humidity, which easily gets too high.

I'm so surprised to hear that JG was less than an EE! Ive been wanting to get JG just to see how they do in meat... Currently I have a Brahma Roo, a RIR hybrid roo, and I believe a freedom ranger roo. Man that freedom ranger is heavy with massive legs and breast! I have 3 of his sons with me still, almost 4 months old and they're massive boys. I don't hear much about people using freedom rangers, but man I'm impressed by how fast his kids grew and packed on weight. I have pics of you're interested.
I'm also surprised that there isn't more meat on the JG crosses! Are they typically used for meat in the pure form?

I guess maybe if I would have waited a little bit longer to butcher them there would have been more meat on him, but there wasn't much meat at 18 weeks. Even the pullets that were 20 weeks old didn't have very much meat either when I gave them to my friend.

I want a dual-purpose cross that puts meat on, but it doesn't take forever.

The breast meat on the Jersey giant cross was very thin, but the Easter Egger had a very thick breast.

Feel free to share pictures 😁

Back
Top Bottom