May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
It is "cute" to see a hen sitting on 40 eggs, but at this point for you WI, I would candle and mark ones that look to be the same age (aircell the same size) keeping the best doz. for her, and incubate the rest.
I dint know she had so many eggs. I went to take a picture she was off the nest. I have barred rock eggs coming saturday from neighbor then fill rest with my own eggs. Other incubator has silkie eggs in it. No extra incubator and I don't have much experience with broody hens except from the 80s when I had chickens, I spent more time at work then. Also used a chicken coop. All different.
Maybe if I see her off again I should candle and just get eggs developed close together and remove the others?
Now the silkies. I do not have room to move them around and the white is the last one to go broody. I am not sure what will happen when chicks hatch? The grey one has been sitting the longest then the buff went broody.
They fight over the chicks? I have to wonder if they even have their own eggs anymore since they get up and roll the eggs around .
See how this all plays out I guess.

Day 16 checked eggs and looking good. Only 9/23 made it this far. Glad I came home today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_210526839.jpg
    IMG_20210427_210526839.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 1
Is it okay if I go on lockdown three days before actuall lockdown. Just wondering. My humidity is set to 83%. No zip or chirping yet. Hoping for a good hatch.
Humidity doesn't need to be over 65% or you'll drown your chicks.
If you are locking down 3 days early I'd only have those early 3 days at 50% humidity.

Well hi y'all! I guess this is where I am supposed to be. I set some duck eggs a week or so ago, but I found a hen in my goat yard with 8 eggs, so I guess that's happening, which is a first on our farm. I have a turkey who is living under our neighbors porch, thought she was dead but apparently she has some eggs too. Gonna candle them later tonight and see if anything is actually happening.

Well hi y'all! I guess this is where I am supposed to be. I set some duck eggs a week or so ago, but I found a hen in my goat yard with 8 eggs, so I guess that's happening, which is a first on our farm. I have a turkey who is living under our neighbors porch, thought she was dead but apparently she has some eggs too. Gonna candle them later tonight and see if anything is actually happening.
You’re having fun!

Just wanted to update everyone on my new incubator. My fix for the cracked egg turner has worked beautifully and the humidity is staying in the 40s most of the time. A time or two it has dipped to 35 before I added a bit more water. If I add the water too full it goes up to 50 so I don't fill it that full. From reading the many posts on the forums here. I think that is what I should be doing. Any corrections to my method are welcome as this is my first attempt. It is nice to see what everyone else is doing. :)

I had 3 duck eggs, I gave to a hen, thinking duck eggs were thicker and would not crack.. One ended up clear. So today is day 8. I was checking the 2 left under the hen and one had a big crack. It was not leaking, but I knew there was no hope. The crack went top to bottom. My second egg had a dent/crack but more at the air cell (candled the embryo was moving and looked okay still. I took both eggs and threw away the one, and put nail polish on the second egg. It is now in an incubator and I will add water once nail polish dries.

On my other eggs, day 12 for foxfire eggs. Day 4 for F/NN from NC

Back
Top Bottom