May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I had 3 duck eggs, I gave to a hen, thinking duck eggs were thicker and would not crack.. One ended up clear. So today is day 8. I was checking the 2 left under the hen and one had a big crack. It was not leaking, but I knew there was no hope. The crack went top to bottom. My second egg had a dent/crack but more at the air cell (candled the embryo was moving and looked okay still. I took both eggs and threw away the one, and put nail polish on the second egg. It is now in an incubator and I will add water once nail polish dries.

On my other eggs, day 12 for foxfire eggs. Day 4 for F/NN from NC
How frustrating. Did the Mama duck not want to set them? I hope the one is saved.

Someone near-ish by has Celadon. I might get some. I admit that I too was tempted to stop keeping quail. Duckling said to keep them, so I will. That is why I have to keep putting eggs in. 2 girls, six boys is an obvious problem.
Oh gosh!!! I have 2 males but one is a bit aggressive so he has to go. I really enjoy my quail more than my other feathers pets.

Celadon are my favorite! I have 2 right now, but unsure which two of my 8 🤣 they never lay eggs while I’m near them. They try to climb on me all the time whenever I’m checking on them or feeding them.

Ayam Cemani eggs go on LOCKDOWN tomorrow 🥰🥰🥰 Out of six, we only had one quit. Hoping to see five black babies soon! 🥰

Narragansett Eggs seem to be doing okay. I've got a solid 2, with the 3rd a ?. It's developed but I think it might have quit. Day 14.

Mixed chicken eggs are doing great too! 3/4 are definitely developing and the 4th started, but the shell is too dark to tell if it's still developing. Day 14.

Solid egg is Cemani. Speckled is the turkey. Candled all eggs going into lockdown tomorrow and all babies were moving! Going to candle the two with broken air sacs tomorrow so I lay them on the side in what I hope is the optimal position.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_104353913.jpg
    IMG_20210429_104353913.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210429_104609861_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210429_104609861_HDR.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 4
Well it’s early into day 6 for my Ancona duck eggs. These were the ones that had detached air cells.

They have been sitting fat end up in the incubator without turning. I decided to give them a quick candle (has to open the incubator anyways to remove 3 chicken eggs. See story below)during the day just to see aircell development. I didn’t move any of them. To my suprise I see veining in a lot of them. Good news but obviously we will see how many quit when I candle officially on day 10. I will turn on the egg turner tomorrow which will be day 7.

*I had to go on to take out 3 BYM chicken eggs I was trying to kinda stagger hatch in between my last batch of ducks & these Ancona eggs. Was not expecting them to hatch & they didn’t. Late deaths with 1 popping into the aircell & the other 2 not. I’m pretty sure the aircells just were not big enough due to the bouts of higher humidity during last duck lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom