May 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I have one batch due on Friday- and they went into lockdown today- day 19. We were on a get-a-way to Idaho for 3 days and just got back. It was actually nice to come home today, because it occupied my time while the eggs developed. And no candling! Haha! Of the 20 fertile eggs I had 16 made it to lockdown. They all look day 19/ maybe a couple day 18 but in the range. Some starting to be in the air cell. Below looking in the 2 windows.
16g.PNG
16e.PNG

Foxfire eggs.

So miss hissy pants, with 2 chicks hatched decided to abandon the nest this afternoon. She so far is being a wonderful mom and the rest of the flock is being watchful and protective of her and the chicks. I was prepared to swoop her and her chicks away but looks like I can leave them be. I took the eggs she left behind and plopped them in the incubator and just had a look at them.

When I decided to let her sit, she had 4 eggs. Over the past 21 days, every time she left the nest, another would jump up and lay an egg in there, hence why at the end she was sitting on a dozen eggs.

I've since removed 4 as being to new with minimum or no development and left behind four. 3 of them look to be about right for going into lockdown and the 4th, looks to be about 10 days along. We will see how they do as they are now in the incubator with Aloha's that I locked down early as the two empty ones are being deep cleaned.

I'm going to get up early and see if she will accept the six that were born 3 days ago, I'll sneak them under her around 4:30 or so as I start chores at 5 and can see how she does with them.

Wolf walker-
I had a friend who had a hen who hatched 3 chicks and walked away from the nest, he said he had 4 left. I ran over and grapped them. When candled 2 eggs were not ready to hatch but were fertile. The other 2 were clear. Those last 2 eggs hatched 2 weeks later. so the guy was not marking his eggs. He just let the chickens do-what ever. Good thing I showed up.

I saw a pip, and heard them peeping, day 19/20. I also have a duck egg in with them that is still vein-y but had a crack in the air cell. It is still going though, due on may 20. I thought I would put the duck egg in with hatching eggs for all the moisture benefits, (Hopefully with out the germs but we'll see.)

Yesterday was Day 12. I candled when adding more water. Of the 3 Dorking eggs, one is clear and one is less developed than the third one. I don't know if the less developed one is still viable. Of the 5 Leghorn eggs, same story. One is clear and one is less developed than the others. Fingers crossed for 4-6 chicks from my little hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom