May Day Hatching Thread

Joining late, but I have around a dozen eggs in the lockdown incubator, due to hatch technically May 2nd-3rd but there’s always the early hatchers lol. Mostly Olive Eggers, with some Speckled Sussexes and the occasional Maran or Turken

Joining late, but I have around a dozen eggs in the lockdown incubator, due to hatch technically May 2nd-3rd but there’s always the early hatchers lol. Mostly Olive Eggers, with some Speckled Sussexes and the occasional Maran or Turken
Well a big congrats to you! I love my speckled Sussex. I hope for a great hatch and can't wait to hear!

That's an incredible hatch rate for shipped eggs!
What are you hatching?
Well, I started with more than 10...18 total. I bought 2 sets of eggs from 2 different sellers on Ebay. 6 bantam-frizzle mix and 12 black copper maran mixes. All 6 bantam eggs were not fertilized. 1st candling showed clear eggs. What a bummer. Then I had 2 quitters out of the 12 other eggs, so 10 went into lock down. Today 4 pipped and one hatched late tonight!! 2 more are zipping right now! Super excited! How are your eggs doing?

Mine are technically due April 30th, but will probably spill over to May 1stView attachment 2091175
I noticed that we have the same incubator and wanted to ask you a question. When you take the eggs out for candling did you simply take the lid off? I’ve been being very careful not to let the temperate/ humidity drop at all but I want to candle my eggs. I really want them to hatch and don’t wanna do anything to kill them. Please get back to me

Well, I started with more than 10...18 total. I bought 2 sets of eggs from 2 different sellers on Ebay. 6 bantam-frizzle mix and 12 black copper maran mixes. All 6 bantam eggs were not fertilized. 1st candling showed clear eggs. What a bummer. Then I had 2 quitters out of the 12 other eggs, so 10 went into lock down. Today 4 pipped and one hatched late tonight!! 2 more are zipping right now! Super excited! How are your eggs doing?
I have 3 out of 9 shipped eggs. During week 2 one of my hens went broody. I pulled them from the incubator and have them under her. I must say a much better way of hatching. I've not candled since, I'm letting nature take it's course.

I have 3 out of 9 shipped eggs. During week 2 one of my hens went broody. I pulled them from the incubator and have them under her. I must say a much better way of hatching. I've not candled since, I'm letting nature take it's course.
Yah, it's really hard to be a mama chicken, huh? I wish I had a broody hen right now, but all my broody girls have lived out their lives and passed. That's why Ibhad ordered some Banty eggs, sad they weren't fertile. Anyhow...the fuzzy butt count this morning is up to 4 and 4 pipped! I was glued to my bator till 3 am watching the hatching going on. I just love it! Just as exciting as watching goats kid!

Back
Top Bottom