May Day Hatching Thread

Happy May Day to us!!! Two more cuties joined their big (hopefully) sister this morning!!!

IMG_4674.JPG

The buff colored chick is full bantam cochin (dad is red, so this baby will probably end up red too), the chick on the right is from a brown leghorn mom and a mixed (olive egger/red cochin) rooster. It has little white chipmunk stripes. The little dark one on the left is from a calico cochin bantam mom and a gold sebright dad. I can't wait to see how they feather out!

We moved Mama Feathers and the babes to their own private maternity ward this morning, and they took right to it. Feathers is a good mom. :)
IMG_4680.JPG

Last edited:
Also! I didn't think this would happen yet, but the eggs we sent to my nieces' teacher are starting to hatch! They're a few days early, which I find odd, but anyway, they're coming! Here's the first one to hatch--a chick from our white-crested blue Polish hen, Lola, and a white silkie father. I love how she turned out! :)

Picture0501200753_1001[5438].jpg

Picture0501200925_1[5437].jpg

I have a separate maternity area for mine too. I built a box last year attached to my run, and then I section it off with cheap plastic fencing that extends up to the top of the run. It makes it quite handy especially for chicks that I purchase, they get to socialize with the other chickens and not get beat up. When they get old enough I take down the fencing.

These are all such beautiful babies! Remember, they're all girls until they crow.

We started 6 Silkie eggs on April 10th and so far three have hatched, all black. One hatched yesterday and two today.

Sooo I know I’m not supposed to open the incubator while they’re still hatching...but I promise I was quick and I added more water lol.
D155005C-E12E-4782-B858-32FB9CF85C32.jpeg
They’re blurry but cute. Four Speckled Sussexes and two Olive Eggers! I might try real quick to get some better pictures later.

Back
Top Bottom