May hatch-a-long

I have very sad news, but a ray of hope. I lost all my babies after lockdown except 1. I just learned today that it is likely due to my setting shipped eggs from lower elevations, and being at high altitude. The chicks did not have enough oxygen to endure the hatching process. They get to internal pip and then die, or drown before that. It's devastating, but at least now I know what's been going on.
My ray of hope is my one surviving chickie! We're in assisted hatch mode. Baby is breathing, but still absorbing his/her yolk sac. I have made sure s/he has enough oxygen and the membrane is well-oiled. Now, it's a wait, pray, check the membrane, wait some more...pray a lot...and wait even more. PLEASE say a prayer for my little baby silkie chick!

Last edited:
I have very sad news, but a ray of hope. I lost all my babies after lockdown except 1. I just learned today that it is likely due to my setting shipped eggs from lower elevations, and being at high altitude. The chicks did not have enough oxygen to endure the hatching process. They get to internal pip and then die, or drown before that. It's devastating, but at least now I know what's been going on.
My ray of hope is my one surviving chickie! We're in assisted hatch mode. Baby is breathing, but still absorbing his/her yolk sac. I have made sure s/he has enough oxygen and the membrane is well-oiled. Now, it's a wait, pray, check the membrane, wait some more...pray a lot...and wait even more. PLEASE say a prayer for my little baby silkie chick!
I hope she/he will be ok!!! :fl:fl

Did it make it?

20180605_220714.jpg 20180605_220720.jpg
4.5 week old buckeye

so my broody and her chick are doing really well she is a very good mother im alittle worried cuz i know you are not supposed too add just one chick too a flock but that is all she hatched will it be ok

so my broody and her chick are doing really well she is a very good mother im alittle worried cuz i know you are not supposed too add just one chick too a flock but that is all she hatched will it be ok

With mama watching out, everything should be fine.

The thing about not adding only one has more to do with chicks without a mother involved I believe.

My younger bantam rooster was the only chick but the broody that hatched him kept him safe.

Back
Top Bottom