May hatch-a-long

Pics
Ok but serious question. One of the sebrights just (like just today) went broody. How long does see need to sit before I can give her a live chick? I'm just thinking the eggs I checked today are not fertile and though i have a few in the fridge im not holding much hour for more sebright chicks. So I was thinking if I could give her the sebriggt that did hatch? And maybe a standard to pair for a little while. I know 1 day broody is really early but i don't want her broody long as she has to be ready for show in July. And i don't want to wait to long if I can give her this baby instead
I know she has to sit for 3 nights straight before she it truly broody but after that I don't know how soon you can put chicks under her. My BO is broody for the first time and I put 3 eggs under her from my Apr 13 batch I don't know how many she is sitting on, I don't want to disturb her. This is worst then hatching eggs in an incubator. Check the forum I am sure their is something on there about this.

Cochins and call ducklings?! Oh my, you will have an overload of cuteness :love
That’s my hope! First time with ducks so fingers crossed! Love bantam Cochins to pieces, my all time favorite. I am certain to fall for these little ducklings, just hope that we get a few through the hatch successfully. May need some wisdom and guidance along the way.

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting some baby ducks but are they messy I would give them a kiddie pool but would that be enough for them I only want two but can they sleep with the. Chickens
I’ve read many things that make me hopeful regarding keeping the ducks and chicks together. No personal experience yet but it seems very reasonable to me. I will only be keeping a small flock as I live within the city limits of a major city. I have some ordinances that I must adhere to.

I’ve read many things that make me hopeful regarding keeping the ducks and chicks together. No personal experience yet but it seems very reasonable to me. I will only be keeping a small flock as I live within the city limits of a major city. I have some ordinances that I must adhere to.
Much different than growing up on 25 acres with horses

I would love to keep ducks but I also don’t know where to get them I will do some reading about them has well thanks

Good morning, I thought I had a duck egg pipping at the wrong end, but I candled this morning and his beak looks like it's at the right end, but the pip and a red orange circle is at the short end. Any ideas? He's 28 days today and a swedish/pekin x

Attachments

• IMG_6679.JPG
    IMG_6679.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6681.JPG
    IMG_6681.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6682.JPG
    IMG_6682.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 5
I know she has to sit for 3 nights straight before she it truly broody but after that I don't know how soon you can put chicks under her. My BO is broody for the first time and I put 3 eggs under her from my Apr 13 batch I don't know how many she is sitting on, I don't want to disturb her. This is worst then hatching eggs in an incubator. Check the forum I am sure their is something on there about this.
We'll have to see I stole all three eggs (fake and real) last night before I thought about it and she decided to sleep on the roost. If she trys again today I'll give her the fake eggs back otherwise I won't worry about it

So.... #7 hatched this morning or last night.

I water checked and candled #8 no movement. So i went ahead and started opening both. #8 was the possible internal pip with breathing last night. Inspection: it did internal pip but right at the edge of the aircell. Might not have had enough air, it's rather large in the egg and had very little aircell left. Looks absorbed from the top but i stopped there, does not appear too be breathing.

#9 looks like it might have been upside down but started to get its beak toward the aircell. No internal pip, looks only partly absorbed no breathing.

Final totals (of 17)
7 hatched 10 did not
3 infertile removed before lock down
1 blood ring removed before lockdown
1 smashed under developed DIS
3 underdeveloped left at lockdown all failed
1 internal pip DIS
1 fully developed no pip DIS.

I think that's pretty good for a first time. Minus the 3 infertile that's a 50% hatch rate. I might have been able to save #7 if I gave it an external pip last night but I can't blame myself I gave it a shot.

Time to clean the bator and get a true may hatch going?

Back
Top Bottom