May Hatch-a-Long!

I agree. My incubators are on break right now as I have broodies up to my eyeballs. My Japanese hen has 10 babies, ranging from 4 days old to 11 days old. She is so good that I can give her babies spread that far apart and she makes sure each is getting the right help and attention. She's very protective of the babies when it comes to the other birds, but lets me come and sit in their midst and bring them food and water on a hot day while they are "free ranging" in the run with the rest of the flock. This is her 5th (I believe) batch of babies since she hatched her first babies almost exactly one year ago. She lives to be a mom and it shows.

My OEGB, on the other hand, is a different story. She's aggressive toward the Japanese hen's chicks, whereas the Japanese says the more the merrier, and she yells at the chickens and guineas but does not actual do much to protect the babies. She has two little babies that are 4 days old and I think that's about the most she can handle. I also have four more broodies sitting on eggs. Two are on guinea eggs, one is on two chicken eggs, and one is on a ceramic egg and I will give her a guinea or two once they start hatching, since they will likely be staggered. I don't know what to expect from these girls. They are biters when I collect the eggs from under them, whereas the Japanese and OEGB just yell at me. These are their first babies, and I'm a bit nervous about it. I hope I can figure out brooding spots for everyone. Right now the OEGB and Japanese are sharing a brooder with a divider, but they only use it to sleep in at night.

I am also wondering how this guinea will be, if she makes it back with any babies. The one that I let hatch and brood last year was a total headache. She lost all but one of her babies the second day. She took them out into the crops and they were attacked. She flew up in the tree a distance away and stayed there overnight, calling out periodically. I don't know if she was telling them to stay put or just trying to distract the predator. In the morning she went to look for them and only came back with one. I don't know if the predator (fox, probably) got the rest or if they died from the wet and cold. She was not that great at caring for the one that was left. She would leave it cold and getting rained on so she could chase away chickens that weren't even near her. I imagine this other girl is sitting on a large clutch, but she's pretty far away and I expect that she will lose some babies on her way back, unfortunately, unless dad goes to help her bring them back. But he hasn't even been checking on her, and she hasn't been coming back for food and water like the other one did. I wish I knew exactly where she was so I could check on her, but sometimes I think that makes it worse because if you bring a lot of scent around it can make the foxes and raccoons curious and they start scoping out the area.
Forgot to ask in the prev post--how did you manage the staggered hatches or did your hen just do it naturally. It looks like I also will have 2 staggered hatches (2 different clutches) where Mima laid eggs on the sly into her daughters' clutches. (This is just the opposite from february when the pullets started laying into Mima;s clutch). I don't know how to discourage the behavior, or even if should should try to. I guess we'll see depending on the eggs that hatch. I can tell them apart bcs I marked on the eggs the date of lay, the coop they were layed in and even which nest. I mix my eggs tht I give a broody so everyone's eggs have a chance to hatch. I'll know the "extras" bcs they aren't marked.

Wow, talk about nerve-racking! Your Japanese hen sounds like my silkie Mima. She loves being a mom. I suspect she'll go broody before long too. The others are 1st timers. One silly silkie girl keeps "loosing" her nest and ends up sitting on fake eggs. This morning I just removed all eggs that weren't being sat on so hopefully that stops. 
I hope your guinea hen and her babies are safe! I'd be beside myself. But I wouldn't have known about the scent attracting predators so that's a very good point! Are all of ours free range? Or maybe I should say, can you try containing that guinea hen (next time) to see if she gets the mother clue that way?

What I did last time is I caught her and put her in an 8x8 that is a sort of annex of my main run. It has a little coop/nestbox that is an old cat house but she refused to go in it so I made a lean-to of old branches from around the property and she would sleep under that with the baby. She was going nutso being in there so whenever I would let the chickens out to free range I would let her out for a few hours and then catch her and make her go back in there at bedtime. Usually I would just catch the baby because she was so terrible about watching it and she would hear it crying and follow me to the pen. I am planning to do the same thing with this one when she comes back.

I do have one guinea hen that is laying in the chicken run which is great. Those are the ones I have been able to put under the chickens. The problem is that I have to keep the chickens confined to the run while I am at work because of the predators, and I have to keep the guineas out of the run so they don't harass the chickens. Otherwise I would be able to get all three guinea hens to lay in the run, I think. They are just too nasty toward the chickens, though. The one that is laying in the run got attacked by a fox Friday night (they have been sleeping in the trees lately) and it took a huge chunk out of the back of her neck. I don't know how she is still alive. I gave her a shot of antibiotics that night before I put her up in the coop. He definitely would have finished her off if I hadn't happened to be sleeping with the windows open and heard her screaming. I regret not grabbing a rifle as I ran out the door because the fox chased after her and got within 20 feet of me. I know it is going to come back again and I need to be ready. I am back to herding them all back into the run at night. It worries me though since now I know there is definitely a fox covering this territory again and I assume the girl on the eggs in the wood would be within his territory. This is a hard time of year out here because the fox predation jumps way up since they have babies to feed. With us being on a peninsula and having no natural predators or competition to keep the foxes in check, I don't feel bad killing the ones that attack my flock.

Anyway, when the one that lays in the run is locked out of the run during the day she just lays it right beside the run and I put it in her nest when I come home, if my dog doesn't find and steal it first. :/ I have been keeping her confined to the run the past few days, though, because of her trauma. Interestingly enough, she still laid the day after the attack, and a double yolker at that, and has been laying each day since. Her wound looks terrible but I can't get a really good look at it because she puts up such a fight I am worried about causing more damage. The best I can do is give her a quick stick with the needle and hope her body does the rest, as far as healing.

Believe me, I am worried about the girl out in the woods. But it is out of my hands so I am trying not to think about it, staying hopeful she will turn up in a few weeks but also trying to be realistic so I won't be sad if she doesn't.

Forgot to ask in the prev post--how did you manage the staggered hatches or did your hen just do it naturally. It looks like I also will have 2 staggered hatches (2 different clutches) where Mima laid eggs on the sly into her daughters' clutches. (This is just the opposite from february when the pullets started laying into Mima;s clutch). I don't know how to discourage the behavior, or even if should should try to. I guess we'll see depending on the eggs that hatch. I can tell them apart bcs I marked on the eggs the date of lay, the coop they were layed in and even which nest. I mix my eggs tht I give a broody so everyone's eggs have a chance to hatch. I'll know the "extras" bcs they aren't marked.

These last chicks that I gave the Japanese and OEGB were set in my incubator, and since I have a separate hatcher I wasn't too concerned about them being staggered. Then the hens started going broody so I decided to use them to raise the ones I wanted to grow out. With the Japanese I wasn't too concerned about it. I tried to give a couple to the OEGB and she wasn't having it, so the last 3 eggs left in the incubator I stuck under her and she finished hatching them and considered them her own. I guess she needs the whole experience to know they are hers to care for. :lol:

With the guinea eggs, I am going to have to be a little more careful. I candled the eggs the other day and the ones that looked furthest along I put under the Brahma and the rest I left under the one bantam Rock. Ideally, what will happen is the Brahma will hatch some out, and then whatever eggs she abandons I will put under the Bantam Rock #1. Any eggs that that one abandons go under Bantam Rock #2. And then any eggs leftover will join the chicken eggs under Bantam Rock #3 and I think the timing will be about right. But we'll see!

What I did last time is I caught her and put her in an 8x8 that is a sort of annex of my main run. It has a little coop/nestbox that is an old cat house but she refused to go in it so I made a lean-to of old branches from around the property and she would sleep under that with the baby. She was going nutso being in there so whenever I would let the chickens out to free range I would let her out for a few hours and then catch her and make her go back in there at bedtime. Usually I would just catch the baby because she was so terrible about watching it and she would hear it crying and follow me to the pen. I am planning to do the same thing with this one when she comes back.

I do have one guinea hen that is laying in the chicken run which is great. Those are the ones I have been able to put under the chickens. The problem is that I have to keep the chickens confined to the run while I am at work because of the predators, and I have to keep the guineas out of the run so they don't harass the chickens. Otherwise I would be able to get all three guinea hens to lay in the run, I think. They are just too nasty toward the chickens, though. The one that is laying in the run got attacked by a fox Friday night (they have been sleeping in the trees lately) and it took a huge chunk out of the back of her neck. I don't know how she is still alive. I gave her a shot of antibiotics that night before I put her up in the coop. He definitely would have finished her off if I hadn't happened to be sleeping with the windows open and heard her screaming. I regret not grabbing a rifle as I ran out the door because the fox chased after her and got within 20 feet of me. I know it is going to come back again and I need to be ready. I am back to herding them all back into the run at night. It worries me though since now I know there is definitely a fox covering this territory again and I assume the girl on the eggs in the wood would be within his territory. This is a hard time of year out here because the fox predation jumps way up since they have babies to feed. With us being on a peninsula and having no natural predators or competition to keep the foxes in check, I don't feel bad killing the ones that attack my flock.

Anyway, when the one that lays in the run is locked out of the run during the day she just lays it right beside the run and I put it in her nest when I come home, if my dog doesn't find and steal it first.
hmm.png
I have been keeping her confined to the run the past few days, though, because of her trauma. Interestingly enough, she still laid the day after the attack, and a double yolker at that, and has been laying each day since. Her wound looks terrible but I can't get a really good look at it because she puts up such a fight I am worried about causing more damage. The best I can do is give her a quick stick with the needle and hope her body does the rest, as far as healing.

Believe me, I am worried about the girl out in the woods. But it is out of my hands so I am trying not to think about it, staying hopeful she will turn up in a few weeks but also trying to be realistic so I won't be sad if she doesn't.
You certainly have your hand full!
I have fox out here but it's really the raccoons that do most damage. They just don't quit! I had a terrible time of it thru the winter with them breaking into one coop over and over again. After reinforcing it many times and running a light out there, it has stopped.
Is you run lit at night? I found it really made a difference.
I'm so sorry your guinea hen had that terrible injury. She's lucky to have you to help her.
Do you know approx when the guinea's eggs are due to hatch? (the one that is hidden off in the woods). At least that way you can keep an eye out for them...
I think keeping the others close, in the run or beside it, is best with the predator problem.
I can't wait to hear about all of your broodies and their hatches.
I'm getting Very nervous right about now...but, same for me, nothing I can do except make sure the broodies have what they need and hope their eggs hatch out well!

The one that is laying in the run got attacked by a fox Friday night (they have been sleeping in the trees lately) and it took a huge chunk out of the back of her neck. I don't know how she is still alive. I gave her a shot of antibiotics that night before I put her up in the coop. He definitely would have finished her off if I hadn't happened to be sleeping with the windows open and heard her screaming. I regret not grabbing a rifle as I ran out the door because the fox chased after her and got within 20 feet of me. I know it is going to come back again and I need to be ready. I am back to herding them all back into the run at night. It worries me though since now I know there is definitely a fox covering this territory again and I assume the girl on the eggs in the wood would be within his territory. This is a hard time of year out here because the fox predation jumps way up since they have babies to feed. With us being on a peninsula and having no natural predators or competition to keep the foxes in check, I don't feel bad killing the ones that attack my flock.

Anyway, when the one that lays in the run is locked out of the run during the day she just lays it right beside the run and I put it in her nest when I come home, if my dog doesn't find and steal it first.
hmm.png
I have been keeping her confined to the run the past few days, though, because of her trauma. Interestingly enough, she still laid the day after the attack, and a double yolker at that, and has been laying each day since. Her wound looks terrible but I can't get a really good look at it because she puts up such a fight I am worried about causing more damage. The best I can do is give her a quick stick with the needle and hope her body does the rest, as far as healing..

I'm sorry to hear about your Silkie and the fox. Chickens have the most amazing ability to heal though as I am learning at the moment, so she should survive.

We had something similar here just 3 weeks ago today. The sole injured survivor (there were uninjured survivors plus one I had to euthanise) is still living in our house. I'm now an expert at making chicken diapers! Something I never ever thought I would say! Her injuries were staggering, but a friend of mine who helped me care for her after the attack said she stood a chance of surviving her injuries despite her tail nearly being clean off (no damage to the vent other than a single puncture wound from a tooth) and almost half the skin missing from one side of her body. We couldn't even anaesthetise her to clean everything up because we considered her too badly injured. I never actually thought she would survive secondary infections if she were to get one, but luckily a triple antibiotic ointment, that blue spray (both topically) and cephalexin (orally) kept her infection free. I took her off the oral antibiotics after 5 days and only recently stopped the topical ones, having done a phased reduction in it from twice a day, to once a day to every other and now only when things are bleeding. She has lost so many feathers I can't put her outside again until she has some (its down around zero and below at night at the moment (southern hemisphere) and the chook house is not heated) and she also can't fly or even flutter now. She is definitely on the mend but I reckon my chicks will be outside before her! And the fox attack that injured her and cost me 10 hens, is how I'm now on Day 18 of my first ever incubation! And I have a million and one questions about what's to come at the weekend!

Sadly, mrs fox has been back twice this week, (mr fox is believed to be dead). Our also have no natural predators and we don't normally have foxes in this area (dead animals (usually wombats and kangaroos) are not eaten at all, they just slowly decompose...).

And so we took the interesting decision to put the eggs I had been storing for one of my now deceased hens who was showing the signs of starting to be broody, into a friend's incubator. We have 16 in there that are known to be fertile. tonight is lockdown... A first for me because I have always had hens raise my chicks before now but none are broody and somehow I don't think my injured but well recovered house hen is going to take well to the chicks let alone adopt them. That would be way too easy.

Back
Top Bottom