May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

I might be in...the Icelandic broody is sitting on 2 eggs. My dad will be spitting mad if he finds out
big_smile.png

fl.gif
Here is to hoping dad dont find out....lol

So I am now on day 23, candled as I went into lockdown, everyone looked viable. I have no moving eggs, no pips, no nothing...in 3 days I will do eggtopsies if nothing hatches...

I can already tell this is going to be a crazy month of hatching! So many people in lockdown already!!!

As for me my 8 d'anver eggs go into lockdown on Sunday!!! Aside from 2 infertile eggs I have had NO blood rings or quitters so far. Fingers crossed they keep it up!

OK trying to get the incubator to settle down and having a bit of bother.
I need to set these eggs by tomorrow morning. SO I need everything to be ok.
What does everyone have their Humidity and temp on for the best over 1-18 days.
I was trying to keep the temp on 99.5-100 but sometimes it has spked to 102

I don;t want another none hatch!

Oes - just double checking everything. Need to get it right humidity especially so as not to have it too high.

Oes - just double checking everything. Need to get it right humidity especially so as not to have it too high.

This is me, and I have a still air incubator. I keep 2 thermometers going. One sitting on top of eggs, one level with bottom of eggs. I also hatch my eggs in cut down egg cartons. Fat end up, pointed end down. I do this because in a still air incubator it is warmer the higher up, or closer you get to the heating element. So 101 at top 99.5 at bottom. I have had a cpl 102 spikes at egg top, but it never hurts my eggs. Humidity I shoot for 30-38% the first 18 days. Then at lockdown I go 60-68%. The most important is to NOT open the incubator during hatching, after lockdown. Opening for just a matter of seconds can cause membrane issues, sticky chicks who suffocate, shrink wrapped chicks, sticky chicks who die just trying to zip out.
Also another reason for hatching shipped eggs in cartons, it keeps the aircell up at the fat end of the egg where it is supposed to be. So many aircells are damaged or completely detached in shipment. This keep the chick in the best position to pip, zip, and hatch.

I do 30-40% for days 1-18, with 35% being ideal

This is me, and I have a still air incubator. I keep 2 thermometers going. One sitting on top of eggs, one level with bottom of eggs. I also hatch my eggs in cut down egg cartons. Fat end up, pointed end down. I do this because in a still air incubator it is warmer the higher up, or closer you get to the heating element. So 101 at top 99.5 at bottom. I have had a cpl 102 spikes at egg top, but it never hurts my eggs. Humidity I shoot for 30-38% the first 18 days. Then at lockdown I go 60-68%. The most important is to NOT open the incubator during hatching, after lockdown. Opening for just a matter of seconds can cause membrane issues, sticky chicks who suffocate, shrink wrapped chicks, sticky chicks who die just trying to zip out.
Also another reason for hatching shipped eggs in cartons, it keeps the aircell up at the fat end of the egg where it is supposed to be. So many aircells are damaged or completely detached in shipment. This keep the chick in the best position to pip, zip, and hatch.

Do you have a pic of your eggs in the cartons???? How do you turn them?????? My bator is still air this time round. Last month all I got was slow cooked scrambled egg!
The last home made fan BAtor at least gave me two live chicks and 6 fully formed dead ones This bator gave me mush!!!!!!

I just don;t want mush again this month. Maybe I am asking daft questions but am double checking everything.

The eggs have been rested for over 24 hrs now. They came in the post I never ordered them so they came when we had nothing quite ready yet! only just ditched the scrambled eggs from the last disaster.

Oes -

Back
Top Bottom