May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Lockdown is tomorrow, so I just candled the remaining 23 (out of 40 I think.) I then pulled 11 that had been suspicious the whole time and they had indeed never developed. One also had a blood ring. So I am down to 12, and that's only because they are all marans with dark shells and I seriously have no idea what's inside. Bummer. I really am not holding out much hope, but will keep my fIngers crossed for at least a few.

Hopefully my May 23rd batch will be more successful. I started those in the cartons and have added a fan to the lg still air.

Seriously considering banning shipped eggs from my reportoire.

Wow, love the story on how your father found some joy in incubating and hatching chickens. Thanks for sharing, brought tears to my eyes.

Really proves that live animals should be a much bigger part of geriatric and psychiatric care. I'm considering to lend my incubator to the kids kindergarden next easter along with a batch of eggs. Hope they'll accept my offer!

Animals are definitely very therapeutic! Stroking an animal even apparently lowers blood pressure...having your own chickens not only provides health benefits because of the eggs, but by petting them
smile.png

Does anyone have experience with hatching Turkey and geese eggs? I have two eggs of each in the bator box for a week and no blood rings yet. Do I need to wait a little longer?

Lockdown is tomorrow, so I just candled the remaining 23 (out of 40 I think.) I then pulled 11 that had been suspicious the whole time and they had indeed never developed. One also had a blood ring. So I am down to 12, and that's only because they are all marans with dark shells and I seriously have no idea what's inside. Bummer. I really am not holding out much hope, but will keep my fIngers crossed for at least a few.

Hopefully my May 23rd batch will be more successful. I started those in the cartons and have added a fan to the lg still air.

Seriously considering banning shipped eggs from my reportoire.

My 1st batch of shipped has dwindled from 9 to 3. My second batch has gone from 15 to 14, but this is just day 10 for them. I know I will lose more before my hatch. Plus my aircells are very wonky.

So how long will it take for blood rings to appear if they do appear? Early or late in the development? Thanks.

Ya'll are not giving me much hope for shipped eggs...
sad.png

Well Misschickenlittle,
It is not that we want to dash al your hope in shipped eggs, it is just that we don't want you to blame yourself right away if they do poorly.
My first batch this year was 24 great silkie eggs, and I hatched 3.
My second batch was 44 Golden seabright eggs and I hatched 11.
This batch is non shipped eggs, and I now have 33 out of a 42 egg incubator.
I did all the same things and it went from 12% with shipped eggs, to 78%
Jim

Back
Top Bottom