May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

They look blurry. If it's a quitter you won't even see actual veins after 24 hours. You should see obvious veins until after internal pipping, which is when the blood starts to recede from the shell.

Lockdown starts tomorrow. I have 16 that have made it so far, with 4 more that are extremely iffy. 1 blue orp, 3 wheaten ameraucanas, 5 Swedish flowers and 7 lemon cuckoo orps. The iffies are 3 wheaten amer, and 1 blue orp. Tossed 7 today that looked to be scrambled. 6 were scrambled and 1 was an early quitter.

Hoping for a few fuzzy butts on Thursday. Not that I need more, that's for dang sure!

[COLOR=008080]HI again, I don't mean to beat this to death........but will continue to find what caused the loss with the chicks.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Seems either something went wrong...................temp????????or maybe illness. two were my own eggs[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]the English Orps..the others were shipped. The Orps usually pop out like a torpedo and are very strong and active..............[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]I have another hatch right behind this one....................[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]The paper towels I had for humidity were very dirty and smelled awful[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Had been in there dirty for three days.............could bacteria have started in just a day or so????????????....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]I had calibrated the hygrometer.............[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Feel  like dumping everything, heavy bleaching and setting in the sun to dry....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Guess I will do some research...................[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Oh, and thank you to everyone posting pictures................makes a person smile no matter what is going on:highfive: [/COLOR]
. Unfortunatly the conditions in a incubator are just that a incubator bacteria will reproduce and began to flourish in 72 hrs

My hatch isn't done quite yet, but I did some bantam vs large fowl comparison pics and they turned out absolutely adorable.

Mille fleur bantam cochin and Welsummer

Bantam BR and OE

Serama and Salmon Faverolle

I started with 16 eggs. 4 of my own have all hatched yesterday. 12 I brought and only 4 developed, 2 made it to lockdown and 1 has hatched. It doesn't look so good. It appears to have a sore on its back, its a smallish area that seems white-ish and gross. I'm not sure what's going on. I am very disappointed in the eggs I brought and really wanted at least one to make it. I'm not so sure this one will :-(

Any ideas? Should I put something on it like betadine or something?

Last edited:
I started with 16 eggs. 4 of my own have all hatched yesterday. 12 I brought and only 4 developed, 2 made it to lockdown and 1 has hatched. It doesn't look so good. It appears to have a sore on its back, its a smallish area that seems white-ish and gross. I'm not sure what's going on. I am very disappointed in the eggs I brought and really wanted at least one to make it. I'm not so sure this one will :-(

Any ideas? Should I put something on it like betadine or something?

Yes batricin or neosporin something like that. I had 2 horrible hatches too. 1 of 9 hatched and 0 of 15(mine were bought and shipped). This has been a rough Month for several of us. But I have 6 more due to hatch Tuesday, so I am hopeful.

My hatch isn't done quite yet, but I did some bantam vs large fowl comparison pics and they turned out absolutely adorable.

Mille fleur bantam cochin and Welsummer

Bantam BR and OE

Serama and Salmon Faverolle

I hatched a single Polish last Thursday. It was very tiny and week, so I bought it a friend. I got a bantam cause I knew it would be small and not pick on it. Well now my chick towers over it. The little one will stand underneath between its legs...LOL
Beautiful babies, great pics!!!

Back
Top Bottom