May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Sooooo... What do you think the odds are of ONE lone egg hatching? Out of 12 one was fertile and its made it to day 19... I had to open the incubator cuz the humidity was 85%!!! So I secretly candled real fast since the lid was open and it isn't moving like it was on day 16... I know I know probably shoulda just let some "steam" out and left the egg alone, but I didn't... and now i have worried myself!
I once had a 1 out of 21, but that was my first hatch.

Same situation in the broody coop as yesterday, one chick out, three eggs with miniature cracks.The three have been like this for 18 hours, and they aren't making any noise

Trust me, when they do, it is a mess. I have never had a rotten egg in an incubator until this present hatch. I started with 110 shipped coturnix quail eggs. They were the best packed eggs I have ever gotten. Started them on the 8th. By about the 12th my incubator room stunk to high heaven, just 4 days in I had a leaker. took that turner tray out, soaked it in hilex, and shifted those eggs to a remaining tray. Figured I had it under control. I figured wrong! Tonight, day 11, I went into the room and once again it stunk bad. 2 more rotten eggs seeping. Did a candling, and now I am left with 53 developing lively eggs, with two more turner racks in the hilex soak
barnie.gif

Sure can't wait, 7 more weeks and I should be setting my own quail eggs in the incubator!

I have a friend on Face book, shes in Florida. Just had her book published and printed on quail. I dont know anything about quail, but they says shes one of the best in the states. If you ever need more eggs I will put you in touch with her.

Well the Silkie egg snafu is not a total loss I was about to give up on them Saturday night when I moved the immigrant eggs into lock down the bator was a little crowded so I was gonna toss them I had one roller Friday night but it had stopped well after a sixteen hour cool down two have hatched this morning and a few more are rolling so I hope to get these guys out and under their mom befor the others start to pop tomorrow I learned something from this hatch as I think I do from every one I do eggs that are that far along in the incubation period are very resilient to huge swings In Temperature these guys were at room temp for over 16 hrs and when the mistake was found and we went on a egg hunt to locate these guys there was slow faint movement at room temp even if the other 4 don't go it will still be a successful save ,,,,,

Grrr I still can't join in over there , my last hatch is set for the 31st my mother in law is putting up some Cochins eggs for me to hatch in June I also found a brahma breeder up in gunacasta about three hours north of me so I may be making a run up there this weekend if time allows

I have faith you will find some eggs......LOL

Well the Silkie egg snafu is not a total loss I was about to give up on them Saturday night when I moved the immigrant eggs into lock down the bator was a little crowded so I was gonna toss them I had one roller Friday night but it had stopped well after a sixteen hour cool down two have hatched this morning and a few more are rolling so I hope to get these guys out and under their mom befor the others start to pop tomorrow I learned something from this hatch as I think I do from every one I do eggs that are that far along in the incubation period are very resilient to huge swings In Temperature these guys were at room temp for over 16 hrs and when the mistake was found and we went on a egg hunt to locate these guys there was slow faint movement at room temp even if the other 4 don't go it will still be a successful save ,,,,,

Wow you have silkie babies???? Pics pics

I have faith you will find some eggs......LOL
[/quote. You know I will jac I can't let you guys move on without me :( this has been a great hatch a long with a great bunch of folks and some good hatches to boot . I have a costa rican Facebook page I'm gonna send you it's a brahma breeder up by the border with Nicaragua I don't know much about brahmas and their conformation to the sop so I'll send you the link and you can look at what he has and pass it around to some of your friends and let me know if it's worth the trip. Andrea sent him a pm last night about eggs and he said he does sell eggs at 5000 colones per dozen or ten bucks u.s

Last edited:
Wow you have silkie babies???? Pics pics
yea as of the time I left for work this morning it was one Silkie and one jersey chick outta the seven eggs that were stuffed under my lil bantam Silkie hen when I was stateside you know how the kids are ohhhh a broody eggs eggs eggs so she had a mixed lot but there was one furry feather leg in the bator at 6 am lol

Back
Top Bottom