Mayans not laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sandreca, Nov 15, 2015.

1. sandreca

sandreca Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Paintlick kentucky
    Help the guy I bought my Maran from told me they were 8 months old one maybe but the rest were the size of my four month pulleys ! I also bought Easter eggers from him and I'm sure they are laying a cream coloured egg! My comets barred rocks are five mines and laying why aren't my Marans help!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Your Marans may still be adjusting to their new environment. Sometimes the stress of moving and adjusting to a new home can stop a bird from laying for awhile. Or, perhaps they are not as old as the previous owner thought? Or, it is possible that if they do not have enough sunlight (12-14 hours per day) they may stop or significantly slow down with their laying as well. In addition, are you sure they are all pullets? Good luck!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Marans or at least mine were about 8 to 9 months old before producing any eggs and moving them can cause stress [​IMG]

4. sandreca

Oct 11, 2015
    Paintlick kentucky
    Thanks so much for your help !

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I think you need to take the seller's comments with a grain of salt - not too sure he knows what he has/ how old etc. Also different breeds don't all start laying at the same age.

7. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and [​IMG]

As the other's have said, some breeds take longer to lay than others and moving to a new environment is stressful to birds which can delay laying. The EE laying cream colored eggs isn't really unusual, they are known for laying anything from cream colored to pinkish to greenish-blue.

I hope you're enjoying your birds and you see some Maran eggs soon!

8. sandreca

Oct 11, 2015
    Paintlick kentucky
    Thanks y'all I love my girls and am over excited for the deep chocolate eggs

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by