maybe a cold

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
my buff orpington hen 2 yrs old. this morning when i let them out she was making a sound with her breathing. i will do my best to describe it. it is like a huhhhh sound when she breathes in and wah when she breathes out. is this a cold also she is sneezing a little now. should i keep her in my house tonight?

Yes. Keep her someplace warm tonight and see how she does. If she has come down with some kind of respiratory disease you will need to keep her in, especially at night, until she is getting better. If her breathing sounds worsen she may need antibiotic's. They often develop secondary infection or pneumonia when they are battling one of these nasty bugs.

I would bring her in someplace where you can keep her warm for a few nights. I don't know how cold it is where you are but breathing the cold night air when theyh are sick can be really hard on them.

i live in alabama. i think it got it to bout 50 something here tonight. but today there is a cold front coming through today and its raining and going to be colder maybe in the 50's during the day. i know i cant put her outside in the rainy weather. you mentioned antibiotics. how would i get some? she is a precious pet so she is just walking round my house. she does come in some but not all day. dont know how that will go but i have no other options.

what started this is our 7 month old rooster finally got the upper hand on her the other day. so yesterday morning when i let them out she was breathing like that. i dont know if he had been chasing her cause she is afraid of him now and will run from him. thats probably not it though its probably the cold weather the other nights. they slept outside of the coop which i dont like but my husband is like they are chickens they will be fine. yea see what happens.

I had to take a chicken in to my avian vet to get the meds, he prescribed Baytril. But I know other folk's on this forum use antibiotic's you can get from the feed store, I'm just not sure which one. Might have been Duramycin or Tylan injectable.

i did get some recommended from the feed store and started her on it tonight. its mixed with her water. she did seem some better today. she didnt make that sound but just this morning but she sounds horsed.

Back
Top Bottom