Maybe get a younger rooster?

SunriseChickers

Feather Fluffer
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 12, 2018
Ohio
I have six hens and no rooster, but I'm thinking about getting one in the spring. I know they can be noisy and mean, but I'm thinking I might want to hatch some of my own chicks someday. If I did get a rooster, would the age difference affect anything? The hens are 5 months right now, and my spring I mean March, April, or maybe even May.

No the age difference won't do anything i think. He'll probably just try to challenge them every now and then. Untill he gets stronger and takes the lead.... Well atleast thats what my ones have done.

Yep. If I had my druthers, I'd not raise one again, lol. They just get really excitable and run after the hens a LOT and tend to grab them by the head and neck and just be all over the place. But they calm down and level out by around 18 months, and usually have the whole mating thing down then, so they aren't such terrors.

Also, if you get a very young cockerel and have grown hens, they're going to pick on him like crazy, most likely. If you really want fertilized eggs, you want to wait until he's ready to kick back before putting him in, because if he gets kicked around by them for awhile it will take longer for him to start mating them.

Thank you both for your experienced advice.

Happily, and at least so far, my M. Maurice is easy with his hatch mates and the 2 older hens as well. They all live with him equally well. I hope it won't get too ugly until he gets the hang of mating because both my husband and I have gotten really fond of him.

We never meant to have a rooster. I paid for ladies because we live on a 1/2 acre lot. My neighbors -- who have been tolerant so far -- may insist that he go before we ever see 18mo.

I'm just hoping for the best as he is one gorgeous guy and, so far, his temperament is more mellow than any of the girls but I'm seeing signs that the hens are approaching maturity so I may find out what the next chapter holds in store soon. By Spring, for sure.

Getting an older one that’s already gone past the teenage hormonal period is easier on you and the girls.
I’m with the others: get one about 18 months old or so.
There’s many people trying to rehome roosters so make sure you ask lots of questions about his temperament towards people and kids (if you have them) and his age.
Do your homework so you don’t get bamboozled by unscrupulous individuals.

Back
Top Bottom