Maybe get rid of bantams???

Shannon's Chix

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
N.E. Florida
I don't even want to type this but I'm so sad and need to vent I guess. I lost one of my babies to a hawk today, a 3 week d'uccle, I was only a few feet away. I'm absolutely sick, this was my first predator loss. This is the thing. I've have 5 mixed breed LF for 5 months now, no sickness, no deaths. Not that it won't ever happen but this is what we've been through in the past 4 months. My 6 week old silkie died after I tried to save her, to no avail, from a vent prolapse. I got 8 d'uccle chicks 3 weeks ago and 3 died in the first week, and now this, which is really so heart breaking...what a horrible way for that little baby to die! I assume it was a hawk but it was really small, kinda greyish. Anyway I'm sure there are bigger hawks around but there is no way that tiny thing could have taken one of my LF. I just don't handle the deaths well and I also feel bad because I feel I should keep all my bantams in their run at all times and that's no fun for them. What I normally do is let them out 2-3 hours a day with me there (obviously that doesn't help much) and they seem happy with that. If I never let them out they would hate it! So maybe they'd be better off somewhere else?

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby...sometimes the circle of life is way too rough on those of us who have a soft heart. I don't really have any input for you, but my first thought that is that the bantys would be at risk anywhere with anyone, so finding them a new home is really not going to make them better off. Sorry, again, about your little one.

Kristen

I agree, I got an owl decoy (with a moving head) and also the CD's strung up outside all over - I move the owl around every so often
No hawks, but the other day, one flew right over the run and never even turned around to circle over the run

Thanks all. I do have cd's up and don't normally see hawks, I think that is why I became lax. See I had the babies in my small fenced dog area to play, not by my big chicken run where the cd's are...and I made the mistake of going too far from them. I guess the main issue I have is my yard is very open, very few trees or places for them to hide. I've seen the owl decoys but not one with a moving head! I'll have to try to find that. When I could finally think straight last night I thought what if it had been my chihuahua who is tiny old and blind? Yeah, I'll just have to be more dilligent, I really love the d'uccles. Thanks again for your kind words and suggestions...

I am so sorry for your loss, I'd like to tell you it gets easier to take but it really doesn't
sad.png
not for us soft hearted folks. I just lost my second bird (in 4 years) to an OWL. The first loss was to a hawk. I have learned that to give them their freedom there will be some losses. Even tho I cry everytime I know they wouldn't be happy locked up.
hugs.gif

I feel your pain... I just lost a bantam polish hen to a falcon
somad.gif
The dumb thing is, the bird sanctuary not far from us has put up nesting boxes for these guys because they are endangered, and one box is just down the road from our farm!!!!!
rant.gif
smack.gif
I hate losing any of my kids, but I also realize now, that living way out here, we will have this some times. I don't like it, and it bothers the heck out of me, but I don't want to give up my chickies either. I just know I must be home when they go outside. I have found that predator birds seem to be more bold - this falcon just sits where she is, and lets me get with in a few feet of her! I could easily take her out, but that would also be very illegal
hide.gif
I didn't know owl decoys worked so well - Off to walmart I go...

Good luck with your babies - so sorry you're having these troubles, but it is most definitely worth it in the long run!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom