Maybe going Broody?

mikki717

My Drug of Choice- Chickens
11 Years
Dec 7, 2009
Hesperia, CA
I have a BO that is 8 months old, and noticed she is fluffing and clucking like she is going broody. I have eggs for her to hatch from a friend (I have no rooster) but am having an issue with the nest boxes. All 6 hens use the same nest box. I have 3, but apparently it has the best... something or other. Once she is settled, can I move her to a different box?

The two nest boxes they don't use are 2-3 inches off the ground, while the favorite is about 18. I'm wondering if I should put the one on the lower tier and two on the second. Do you think that will work? I also thought about putting the crate on cinder blocks to raise it up.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbroody.jpg

Cute DIY nesting boxes! I would let her stay there until the eggs hatch and then put her in a large dog crate with food and water. If you have a run, about three to four days after the chicks hatch, you can put them out there. If not, put the dog crate outside and let them out with supervision in your yard. If you keep them in the crate until they are older, you can just put the crate in the chicken pen and soon the hens won't pick on them anymore and you can let them out.

Back
Top Bottom