Maybe It's just me but...

Well, the odds are good that they were simply doing their job. The public utilities and power companies sign covenants with the land owners and those are normally on file. If one keeps the area under power lines mowed, there is no need for them to spray. Typically, there is a "no grow" policy, especially if the power lines are carrier lines, providing power up stream.

We have the same issue here. I organically garden and one patch is under the power lines. The power company regularly sprays my neighbors, especially if they fail to brush hog often enough to prevent sapling growth. It is far cheaper for them to spray than it is to wait every 10-15 years and have to send in a de-foresting crew and equipment.

So, I guess the bottom line is be sure the power company has an easement covering the power lines across your property. Be sure the size of the easement isn't larger than one might think. My neighbor was shocked to discover a 200' wide easement existed. He bought the property without doing his due diligence. Also be sure the power lines are not located in the road right of way, which is also common. In these cases, there is no covenant, as none is needed, the road right of way exists.

All that said, you'll find discussion with power company supervisors often work well. If you agree to keep the right of way clear and mowed, no saplings, no trees, no stumps growing, etc, they'll usually mark their file and the pre-spray team that surveys will see that there is no need to spray.

Finally, if the crew was indiscriminately spraying beyond the right of way, and you are sure of the right of way precisely, then you should absolutely call a supervisor at the power company and express your displeasure at the spraying on your property. Hope my long reply is of some help.

you land should be alright you have to go over the land a couple times with round up to kill of vegetation, just spray down the infected areas with water and wash it of the leaves of your cherry tree, if it got in the chicken run fence that infected area of and hose it down then let it dry out for a week then it should be alright to let the chickens in there again.

I live in Marin County in California. We passed a ballot measure and made it illegal for them - any one, which includes county crews on roadways - from spraying. They must mow. It took a very active and involved populace to pul.l it off.

Check with your county department that maintains roads. Here in my state, you can apply for signs that say "No Pesticides", to keep the county from spraying. I think you have to agree to keep the saplings and trees trimmed under the power lines.

My mother-in-law used to have pitched battles over her weeping cherry (which will never possibly get high enough to menace the lines!) She has a sign now, and doesn't have to worry about it.

check your laws, they may have been within their rights. Here if it's with ten feet of the power lines and poles they can do what they want. They butchered my parents trees, she gave them hell but there was nothing she could do but complain. They told her if it was near or in the power lines they where told to trim them back.

If you hosed them down with water before two hours where up you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom