Maybe, maybe not.... but REALLY cute!!

We were finally able to bring our survivors home on Saturday evening. Exactly one full month after landfall. We were EXCEPTIONALLY blessed with our home. Only one tree laid against it, and where it landed it knocked a couple shingles loose. Our sheds survived and the girls' "Beach House" made it too.

Our trees didn't fare so well though. We live on nearly 9 acres that were fully wooded, but now I can clearly see EVERY ONE of my neighbors on all sides. But it's just trees.... I can deal with trees.

The storm took just about all of our favorites in our crew, but our big rooster survived. He marched his ladies right back to their bedroom when we got home like nothing ever happened.

This is the worst damage from a storm I've seen in my lifetime. Our landscape will be forever changed from her. I'm just so very grateful that we're okay..... and that we didn't leave any of our babies behind. We would have surely lost them all to heart attacks. Even where we evacuated to we saw sustained winds of over 130mph.... at the house it was a sustained 155-160. And the airport reported wind gusts at 196mph before the radar dome shattered. It looks like a busted lightbulb now. :/

Your story gave me chills. I’m not in an area at risk for these things but I have still been feeling compelled to have evac cages for our girls because you never know what might happen. I’m glad you all are more or less okay. Give the rest of your flock some extra love and treats ❤️

Your story gave me chills. I’m not in an area at risk for these things but I have still been feeling compelled to have evac cages for our girls because you never know what might happen. I’m glad you all are more or less okay. Give the rest of your flock some extra love and treats ❤
I cannot recommend it enough. We put all of ours on a 16' trailer, brought their waterers and feed with us and a couple big barrels of water for them. We had no guarantee of finding an easy supply of running water for them and temperatures were close to 100 degrees after the storm passed.... no shade trees to be found either. We stayed at my folks' place until last Tuesday.... That's how long it took to get our electricity restored.

The electricians have come from all over the country to rebuild us as quickly as possible. Every single one of our main transmission lines from the power plants were twisted down to the ground. They've performed a miracle down here but there's still so much left to do. Cameron parish they're not expecting to have power back to until December at the earliest......

I must report that hurricane Laura took our sweet little Punk.

I'll be attaching the very last picture we got of her as we were running from the storm to this thread. Their disshelved pen was put to rights once we got to our destination and they rode covered with a tarp to keep the rain off. We had stopped at a walmart so I flipped the tarp open to let them see. We lost her 2 weeks later. Between the horde of mosquitoes and the trauma she didnt stand much of a chance. She got to the point she couldn't warm up and with such limited supplies and no electricity (we just got it back on Tuesday evening) I couldnt pull her through. We lost a total of 4 of our chooks and 4 little guineas thanks to all of this mess. :'(

2020 has been too much, man.
I’m sooo sorry! I can’t imagine losing my birds! I’m sorry again!

The whole posse during the stop. Even had our big dog on the other side...... which made for some comedic relief. Cooper (the dog) and Floyd (our leghorn) don't see eye to eye on a good day, so every time Coop would bark at a hen Floyd would crow at him. It was such a ruckus sitting at that walmart. Everybody was laughing walking to their cars.

Attachments

• 20200826_150454.jpg
    20200826_150454.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200826_150514.jpg
    20200826_150514.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200826_150517.jpg
    20200826_150517.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200826_150529.jpg
    20200826_150529.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200826_150540.jpg
    20200826_150540.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am very sorry some of your birdies didnt survive the hurricane madness. I grew up on the texas gulf coast. Hurricane laura was of course extra fierce. The misery of no electricity after a hurricane passes is usually worse (definitely longer lasting) than the intensity and concern in the middle of the storm. Esp with the heat, humidity & mosquitos. Am glad your house survived & u dont have to deal with That too. And wow your evacuation trailer set up is very impressive. It is clear you did all u could to help them survive.

[QUOTE=". Esp with the heat, humidity & mosquitos.
[/QUOTE]

OMGGG the mosquitoes are so vicious. We're getting the big ones that were blown out of the marsh along with our usual nuisances. About a week after the storm they were reporting that cattle and horses down in Hackberry and Cameron were being suffocated by them. The stories were straight out of a horror movie. Even my poor chooks ended up with swollen faces from them. They can't eat them fast enough to make a difference. We'd go outside and just wipe off hundreds of them off a single face.

Still battling runny noses and swollen eyes on a couple of them, but they're eating and drinking and happy so I'm trying not to be too worried about them.

Back
Top Bottom