Maybe some chickens?

tammyhooper

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
I may have the oportunity to move to a rural location. So I've been studing up on raising laying hens. I would like to know what kind of chicken is the least broody and most friendly of all the breeds as well as being a good layer.

I really apprecitate any information you can give me about this.

If you haven't already go to the BYC home page (there's a link at the top of the forums to get you there) There's lots of basic info there to get you started.

Otherwise, just hang around a little bit daily to catch up on the latest news here - you'll learn a lot.

There is a search function also on the forum which is very helpful.

And, of course if you still can't find an answer to your questions you can always ask!

Welcome and be forewarned... we're all pretty much chicken enablers around here so don't ask us about getting MORE chickens unless you want the answer to be YES!

Thankyou for the chicken chart site. I think that definitely answered some questions.

I'm looking more towards the plymouth rock now where before I was looking at the easter egg chickens.

I raise Barred Rocks and mine have never hinted at going broody, although I have a friend who does have one that sometimes does. In general, they are not the broody type. They are super friendly, curious, funny and lay nice large eggs up to jumbo when they get a bit older. Mine lay 5-7 days a week, when they aren't molting. They are my favorite all-round breed. Even my flock rooster, a BR named Hawkeye, is a sweetie.

I have 3 Buff Orpingtons and a Rhode Island Red right now- used to have a BO, an Americauna and a white orp I think? forget.

The Buffs are the nicest. The RIR is LOUD. The Americauna was mean.

One of my buffs likes to use me as a perch on occasion... she's silly but quite sweet.

They're fluffy and huggable too!

Thankyou for all the information. I'll check out the buffs. They sound like the perfect bird to me so far.

I love my EE. She has attitude, just like a semi lazy cat would, but she likes to be cuddled and explore. I love the blue eggs too!

Back
Top Bottom